- How much formal education is required?
- What majors are best prepared for this position?
- Is any special training required?
- What kinds of work experience would be good background for this position?
- What kinds of extracurricular experiences would be a good background for this job?
- What specific courses would you recommend?
- What specific skills are required? Are any additional skills helpful?
- Whom do you report to?
- How many people (if any) report to you? What do they do?
- Do you frequently interact with people? With co-workers, subordinates, supervisors,
- Do you primarily work alone or in collaboration with others? Who?
- How do you spend a typical day?
- How much time do you spend in: paperwork, meetings, telephoning, working with data, supervising, dealing with the public, etc. ?
- Where do you work (office, lab, outside, small business, factory, etc.)?
- What are the conditions of the setting (private, office, open space, temperature, clean or dirty, comfortable or rigid, etc.)?
- What is the mode of dress (formal, informal, etc.)?
- How would you characterize your working relations (you associate with co-workers outside the work setting)?
- Do you determine what tasks you will work on and how you structure your time or is that determined for you?
- How many hours per week do you work? Do you put in additional hours, overtime, or work at home? When do you work? (8-5, shift work, Monday thru Friday, evenings, weekends, etc.)
- Are you required to travel? How often? How far? Overnight or for extended periods?
- What is the salary range for your position? How much vacation? Benefits?
- Do you commute to work? How far?
- Are you satisfied with your work? What do you like best? What changes would you make if you could?
- Will you make your life career out of this work? Where will you go from here?