Office of Disability Services: Online and Alternative Location Programs
Online and Alternative Location Programs
For the purpose of higher education, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a disability as a significant impairment of one or more major life activities. Major life activities include but are not limited to: performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, digesting, sleeping, and learning. ADA requires reasonable accommodations to address major life activities as a way to overcome barriers that limit opportunities for otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
To determine the eligibility of educational accommodations, appropriate documentation is required by Florida Tech’s Office of Disability Services.
Documentation presented must be written and signed by a qualified educational, medical, and/or mental health provider (including their professional credentials and contact information), and include the following:
- Diagnostic Impressions (including how the diagnosis may be a disabling condition and the functional limitations resulting from the disability).
- Relevant educational, developmental, and/or medical/mental history.
- Recommendations of specific educational accommodations (including supporting evidence).
Supporting documentation (i.e. 504 Plan, IEP, medical records, etc.) may also be provided, but does not serve as a substitute for written letter/evaluation completed by a qualified provider.
Steps to Request Educational Accommodations
- The student will gather documentation by a qualified provider, as noted in the Documentation Requirements section, AND complete the Disability Services Request Form. Then, the student will submit all paperwork to the Office of Disability Services.
- After review of the paperwork, the Disability Services Counselor will contact the student to schedule a 30-minute appointment. The appointment is held to discuss the decision regarding eligibility, the possible implementation of accommodations, and any recommendations for interventions.
- If eligibility criteria are met, accommodations are activated within two business days. Notification is sent via email to the student and the faculty of the student’s current course load. It is advised that the student meet with each instructor to discuss the implementation of their accommodations for the semester.
The student is encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Services with any questions and/or concerns regarding their accommodations. Please note: accommodations must be activated each semester with the Office of Disability Services.