Office of Disability Services: Faculty & Staff Resources
Faculty & Staff Resources
The Americans with Disabilities Act(ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 mandate postsecondary institutions that receive federal financial assistance to provide educational programs and services that are accessible to students with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodations for programmatic and physical access. The goal is to ensure equal opportunity and treatment as well as creating a welcoming environment for students with disabilities.
- Consult with the Office of Disability Services if you have questions and/or concerns with student accommodations or how to approach specific course requirements.
- Invite the Office of Disability Services to department meetings to discuss general accommodations for students with disabilities.
- Call the Office of Disability Services if you suspect that one of your students may be struggling from a disability.
- Ask ODS to participate in a scheduled meeting for a student with a registered disability to assist in problem solving learning difficulties (with student permission).
- Think of the Office of Disability Services as a resource for accommodating students with disabilities in the college setting.
- Include textbook information, description of assignments, and the due dates in the course syllabus.
- Post the syllabus in CANVAS as far in advance as possible.
- Offer frequent, detailed, and timely feedback on students’ coursework.
- Encourage students to approach you to clarify assignments.
- Communicate in a timely manner to student concerns.
Examination Procedures for Students with Disabilities
If extended time and/or low distraction setting for testing has been approved by the Office of Disability Services, students can schedule their testing at the Academic Support Center (ASC) by making an appointment at their website: http://www.fit.edu/asc/, and click on “Testing Appointment.” It is important for the student to plan ahead as the ASC requires 48-72 hours advanced notice, depending on the testing accommodation request. If the course instructor(s) can replicate such accommodations, then a student may be required to take the quiz/test/exam within the academic department. Examination procedures for the Academic Support Center are listed on their website: http://www.fit.edu/asc/examination-procedures.php.