Physics and Space Sciences
Dr. Yumiceva's research interests are in the experimental study of elementary particles and their interactions in high-energy proton-proton collisions. Currently, Dr. Yumiceva is working on the CMS Experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. His research focuses in the search for new physics beyond the standard model. These include the search for new exotic particles using the largest set of recorded sample of top quarks. The top quark is the heaviest subatomic particle ever discovered. The mass of the top quark makes it an ideal laboratory in which to search for something entirely new.
- Ph.D. Physics, University of South Carolina, 2004.
- M.Sc. Physics, University of South Carolina, 2001.
- B.Sc. Equivalent, National Polytechnic University, Ecuador 1998.
Recognition & Awards
- 2015 Department of Energy (DOE) HEP Award (4-years).
- 2014 Department of Energy (DOE) HEP Award (1-year).
- 2014 Fermilab-LPC Guests & Visitors Award (travel award).
- 2014 and 2013 CMS Fermilab-LPC Distinguished Researcher Award.
- 2002 Department of Physics Research Award. University of South Carolina.
- 2000, 2001, 2002 Recognition of Outstanding Graduate Work. Univ. of South Carolina USC.
- 1998 Scholarship to CUREA Summer Program in Astrophysics. Mt. Wilson Observatory.
- PHY 1001 Physics 1 - Mechanics
- PHY 1002 Physics 2 - Electrodynamics
- PHY 4021 Experiments in Optics
- PHY 4030 Subatomic Physics
- PHY 3152 Electronic Measurement Techniques
- PHY 5088 Graduate Laboratory
- PHY 108 Physics for Life Sciences (at William and Mary)
- Assistant Professor, Florida Institute of Technology. 2012-Present.
- Research Associate, Fermilab, Batavia IL. 2006-2012.
- Research Associate, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg VA. 2004-2006.
- Elementary particle physics.
- Experimental high-energy physics at CERN with the CMS experiment.
- Search for exotic particles.
- Simulation and detector development.
- Co-Convener of the CMS b-tagging Performance Group (2011-2012).
- Co-Convener of the CMS Top Pair BSM Group (Boosted Top Group) (2007-2009).
- Co-Leader of the LHC-Physics-Center-Fermilab top quark working group (2010-2012).
- Co-Convener of the LHC-Physics-Center (LPC) b-tagging Group (2009-2010).
- CMS Analysis Review Committee Member for Publications in Top, Higgs, SUSY, Exotica.
- Instructor in the CMS Data Analysis School (CMSDAS) 2011 - 2014.
Previous Experiments and International Collaborations:
- Neutrino physics with the MINOS experiment at Fermilab.
- Matter-antimatter asymmetry with the BABAR experiment at Stanford Linear Accelerator.
“Search for Z’ to ttbar in high-mass electron plus jets events”, CMS Physics Analysis Summary CMS-PAS-EXO-11-092 (2012).
“Search for Z’ to ttbar in high-mass lepton plus jets events”, CMS Physics Analysis Summary CMS-PAS-EXO-11-093 (2012).
“Search for heavy W’ boson resonances decaying to a bottom quark and a top quark at √s=7 TeV”, CMS Physics Analysis Summary CMS-PAS-EXO-12-001 (2012). arXiv:1208.0956
“Search for four top production”, CMS Physics Analysis Summary CMS-PAS-TOP-12-005 (2012).
b-tagging performance measurements from CMS. CMS PAS BTV-11-001.
Measurement of the t tbar Production Cross Section in pp Collisions at 7 TeV in Lepton + Jets Events Using b-quark Jet Identification. CERN-PH-EP-2011-085. arxiv:1108.3773.
Measurement of the Top-antitop Production Cross Section in pp Collisions at sqrt(s)=7 TeV using the Kinematic Properties of Events with Leptons and Jets. CERN-PH-EP-2011-066, arxiv:1106.3052.
Observation of Top-like Events in the Muon+Jets Channel in Early 7 TeV Dat. CMS PAS TOP-10-04.
Primary Vertex Results in First 7 TeV Collisions CMS PAS TRK-10-005.
First Measurement of nu(mu) and nu(e) Events in an Off-Axis Horn-Focused Neutrino Beam. P. Adamson et. al. Phys.Rev.Lett.102:211801,2009.
Top physics beyond the standard model: Prospects at CMS. F. Yumiceva for the CMS Collaboration. Nuovo Cim.123B:1278-1284,2008.
The Magnetized steel and scintillator calorimeters of the MINOS experiment. D. G. Michael et. al. Nucl.Instrum.Meth.A596:190-228,2008.
Beam position determination using tracks. T.~Miao, H.~Wenzel, F.~Yumiceva and N.~Leioatts. CERN-CMS-NOTE-2007-021, FERMILAB-FN-0816-E
Report of the US long baseline neutrino experiment study. V. Barger et. al. arXiv:0705.4396
Recent Results from the MINOS experiment. Intersection of Particle and Nuclear Physics (CIPANP), 9th Conference, AIP Conference Proceeding.AIP Conf.Proc.870:540-543,2006
P. Adamson et. al., First Observation of Separated Atmospheric νμ and anti-νμ events in the MINOS detector. Phys. Rev. D73:072002, 2006.
A Search for CP violation and a measurement of the relative branching fraction in D+ ---> K- K+ pi+ decays. B. Aubert et. al., Physical Review, PRD 71, 091101(R) (2005).