LAUB, Joseph B
Education and Interdisciplinary Studies
It's incredibly rewarding to see a student's eyes light up when they finally understand. I want to show future teachers how to make that happen. Over the past 20 years, I've developed relationships with fellow teachers, administrators, principals and school board personnel in Brevard County. Those people are instrumental in the success of new teachers. Over the past 10 years, I've also had the good fortune of developing relationships with faculty members and support personnel here at Florida Tech through a program called “Quarknet”. In 1991, I received my Master's degree in Science Education from Florida Tech. The program helped me become a highly effective teacher and I'm excited to pass on what I've learned to future teachers. Over the past few years, I've also served as a supervising teacher to 3 students in your Science Education program. They all have gone on to successful teaching careers.
My experiences with Brevard county schools and Florida Tech have given me a unique insight into how to partner these 2 great resources and develop strong passionate STEM teachers. I will utilize all of my resources to ensure teachers from Florida Tech exceed the expectations set forth by the State of Florida Department of Education.
Florida Institute of Technology: (Melbourne, Florida)
- Master of Science in Science Education June 1990.
University of South Carolina: (Columbia, South Carolina)
- Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology June 1987.
Recognition & Awards
Florida Dept. of Education : (Tallahassee, Fl)
- Certified teacher in Biology and Earth/Space science
- Middle grades endorsement
- Clinical/Field Exp 1 (201208-01)
- Foundations & Mgt of Inst (201108-E1)
- Meth/Mgmt M/HS Teaching (201108-E1)
- MTH/MGT M/HS Teaching (201208-E1)
- Special Topics in Educ (201208-01)
- Student Teaching 1 (201208-E1)
- UTeach Step 1
- UTeach Step 2
- UTeach Classroom Interactions
- Student Teaching 2
Master Science Teacher: (July, 2012 - Present)
Currently teaching Undergraduate UTeach Education courses
Supervisor for senior Internships
Melbourne High School: (January, 1999 – 2012)
- Currently teaching Biology, Honors Biology, Integrated Science II and Integrated
Science II Honors - (course combines Biology, Chemistry and Physics into a unified
- Responsible for aligning course objectives to the Next Generation Sunshine State
- Maintain attendance and grades on Brevard counties “Ed-line” – on-line grade program
- Member of the task team responsible for writing the guidelines for the “Next
Generation Sunshine State Standards. This guide is used by all Science teachers in
Brevard County. Teachers are required to document these standards in their lesson
plans to assure they are covering the required material.
- Currently certified as a Supervising teacher in the state of Florida. This certification is
necessary to oversee Senior and Junior college interns in the classroom.
- In addition to the above courses, I have also taught: Integrated Science I & II,
Advanced Placement Environmental Science, Honors Biology and Pre-AP Biology.
Florida Institute of Technology : (Summers 2003 – 2012)
- Lead teacher “Quarknet”. Each summer I oversee a workshop relating to high energy
particle Physics. Under the direction of PhD. Laszlo Baksay, I am responsible for:
- recruiting up to 8 high school teachers and 6 high school students
- creating 6 weeks of curriculum for students and teachers
- recruiting Florida Tech professors to lecture on “quarknet” related topics
- securing funding documents from NSF and University of Notre Dame
- working with Florida Tech’s OSP department to ensure they receive required documents so that all participants are paid.
- preparing an annual report for to ensure the program continues
Johnson Jr. High School: (August, 1991 – January, 1999)
- Taught 7th and 8th grade Comprehensive Science, Physical Science and Science
- I have guided 4 students to state fairs (one winning “best of show”) and one student to
the International Science fair in California.
- Director of Johnson Jr. High’s Afterschool program. Responsible for recruiting
Teachers, overseeing their commitment to the programs, administrative duties
and end of year program summaries.
- Completed requirements for Teacher Tech certification. When computer problems were
encountered in the school, I was the first one called to troubleshoot.
- Completed County level courses in Administrative Awareness. This training enabled
me to perform the tasks of a Middle School Dean of Discipline.
Brevard Community College: (August 2003 – June2005)
- Adjunct Science teacher at the Palm Bay Campus.
- Responsible for developing curriculum & teaching classes/labs
- Classes taught:
- Environmental Science
- Anatomy & Physiology
Dynamac Corporation: (June 2002 – August 2002)
- Environmental Scientist. This was a short term Summer position to determine the
effect of space shuttle launch complex’s lights on Sea Turtle hatchlings. We marked
turtle nests and determined the number and orientation of hatchlings.
- Categorized and counted sea grass to determine the health of the beds and water quality
throughout the Kennedy Space Center complex.
- Erected index markers throughout the Kennedy Space Center complex for a long term
sea level study
Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute: (June 1990 – August 1991)
- Environmental Chemist. Sampled and analyzed water in mosquito impoundments
along the Indian River from Vero Beach to Ft. Pierce.
Advisor - Brevard Future Educators of American (BFEA)