High Tech with a Human Touch
Department of Mathematical Sciences, College of Science
Personal OverviewUBM-Group: Research and Education Program in BioMath (REP) funded by NSF. Duration: 36 months starting at Jan.1, 2008.
Educational BackgroundB.S. Middle East Technical University, Turkey
M.S. Middle East Technical University, Turkey
Ph.D. Florida Institute of Technology 1992
Professional ExperienceDr. Köksals areas of expertise are stability analysis of nonlinear ordinary differential equations, neural networks and mathematical modeling.
Current ResearchDr. Koksal is currently working on several projects that involve both undergraduate and graduate students:
1. Neural Networks: Construction and analysis of Fuzzy backpropagation neural networks with vector valued activation functions, and application to data fusion.
2. Biochemical Networks: Mathematical modeling of protein activities during oocyte maturation and fertilization. Nonlinear ordinary differential equations and neural networks approach are used for modeling.
3. Coral Dynamics: Modeling coral population thresholds and vital rates using nonlinear difference and differential equations.
Selected Publications1. Cowan J. and Koksal S. Fuzzy Backprobagation Networks using Vector Valued Activation Function, IEEE, NN Transc. (submitted).
2. van Woesik R and Koksal S A Coral Population Response (CPR) Model for Thermal Stress, Coastal and Estuarine Studies 61: Coral Reefs and Climate Change: Science and Management. Published by American Geophsical Union, Washington DC: p: 129-144 (2006).
3. van Woesik R, Lacharmoise F, Koksal S Annual cycles of solar insolation predict spawning times of Caribbean corals. Ecology Letters 9: 390-398 (2006).
4. Howel, B.P., Wood, S. and Kksal S., Passive Sonar Recognition and Analysis Using Hybrid Neural Networks, Oceans, 2004.
5. G. T. Bhaskar, S. Kksal and V. Lakshmikantham, Generalized Quasilinearization Method for Semilinear Hyperbolic Problems, Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, pp. 1263-1275 (2003).
6. S. Kksal and V. Lakshmikantham, Unified Approach to Monotone Iterative Technique for Semilinear
Parabolic Problems, Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems Series A,10(4):539-
V. Lakshimikantham and S. Kksal, Monotone Flows and Rapid Convergence for Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations, Francis and Taylor, 2003, London and New York.