Associate Vice President for International Partnerships, Department Head , and Distinguished Professor
Dr. Shaikh offers a warm wlecome to all prospective students and faculty members. With his firm belief in respect and dignity of each faculty member and student, he has dedicated himself to mentoring new faculty members and students. This is evident from his multiple university-level teaching and service awards both by the Faculty Senate and the university administration. Besides his acdemic involvement, Dr. Shaikh continues his sports activities that include several marathons, many 5K, 10K, 15K races and over 40 trophies in tennis.
Since his first day of work on February 5, 1968, Dr. Shaikh has continued to dedicate himself to hard work with honesty and integrity.
B.S. University of Bombay, Mechanical Engineering, First Class
M.S. Kansas State University, Industrial Engineering, 3.92/4.0
Ph.D. University of Illinois, Industrial Engineering, 5.0/5.0
Recognition & Awards
Appointed by the Hon. U.S. Commerce Secretary, Donald Evans to the Census Bureau’s Race and Ethnic Advisory Committee, (2003 – 2005)
Recipient of the President’s Award for University Excellence, For three years in a row
Dr. Shaikh is recipient of four Teaching Excellence Awards at Florida Tech
Recipient of the Provost’s Academic Leadership Award
Recipient of 2014 Andrew E. Revay Award for Univeristy Services
Dr. Shaikh is listed on Who’s Who in Engineering, Science, Teaching, and in the World
Dr. Shaikh has the university level responsibility in assisting corporations with their academic needs. Dr. Shaikh was associate dean of the College of Business from 1993 to 1997. In May 2003, Dr. Shaikh was appointed to the Race and Ethnic Advisory Committee by the United States Secretary of Commerce for a three-year term. He has over 20 years of consulting experience with local high-tech corporations in the areas of management science/operations research, statistics, simulation, system/software engineering, SPC/TQM, risk analysis, QFD, AHP and reliability. Dr. Shaikh's work and consulting experience includes applications of state-of-the-art techniques in solving marketing, manufacturing, engineering, purchasing, pricing and scheduling, material management and quality management problems at Caterpillar Inc., where he was a managment science consultant for over 17 years. At Harris Corporation and Northrop Grumman, Dr. Shaikh has developed complex algorithms and simulation programs in solving defense-related problems.
He has served on 93 doctoral dissertations and 147 master's thesis committees. Dr. Shaikh has supervised 13 doctoral students from civil engineering, operations research and computer science, and 4 master's thesis students. He was recipient of the School of Business “Teacher of the YearÂ” award in 1991 and 1995, and the College of Engineering “Teacher of the YearÂ” award in 2002. He was also a recipient of the “Faculty Excellence in Teaching” award in 2002. Dr. Shaikh was a Fellow at Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, in 1992. In 1992, he was granted full membership to the Operations Research Society of America. He is listed in the Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Who’s Who of Central Florida, Who’s Who in Engineering Education.
Management of Technology
Management Science/Operations Research
Technology Commercialization and Entrepreneurship
Multivariate Statistical Analysis
SAMPLE JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS:
Shaikh, M. A., “Communication Network Simulation Models,” Cover Article of a Special Section in the Transactions of the Society for Computer Simulation, Volume 10, Number 1, March 1993, pp. 23-24.
Shaikh, M. A. and W. H. Moore, “Statistical Interpretation of Absolute Requirements,” in the Joint issue of IEEE/Space and Electronic Systems and INCOSE journals, Vol.33, Number 2, April, 1997, pp. 626-631.
Shaikh, M. A., J.M. Vita, and W. H. Moore, “Project Schedule Recomputation After Risk Inclusion,” System Engineering, the Journal of INCOSE, vol. 1 No. 3, October 1998, pp. 242-249.
Vandevillle, J., and M. A. Shaikh, “Lessons Learned,” System Engineering, the Journal of INCOSE, Vol. 2, No. 3, October 1998, pp. 242-249.
Shaikh, M.A., and G.A. Cahill, “Some Fundamental Aspects of Interest-Free Islamic
Banking,” International Journal, Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Management, June, 1999,
Adam, H., J. E. Deaton, R. W. Hansrote, and M. A. Shaikh, “An Analysis of GPS Usability
and Human Performance in Aviation,” International Journal of Applied Aviation, Volume 4
Number 1, 2004, pp. 107-132
RECENT CONFERENCE PAPERS:
1. Shaikh, Muzaffar A. and Shoaib M. Shaikh, Environmental Considerations in Locating a Factory: A Grid-based Numerical Approach, World Congress on Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering (CSEE'16), , March 30-31, 2016, ICESDP’16, Prague, Czech Republic
2. Shaikh, Muzaffar A. and Shoaib M. Shaikh, Product Rework Cost Minimization via Industrial Engineering Techniques, 2nd International Conference & Exhibition on Industrial Engineering, November 16-18, 2015, Dubai, UAE
3. Shaikh, Muzaffar A., Florida Tech’s Graduate Programs in Systems Engineering for the High-Tech Industrial Corporations, ASEE-SE, Annual ASEE Conference and Exhibition, June 26-29, 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana
4. Shaikh, Muzaffar A. and Martin E. Glicksman, Internationalization Awareness of Faculty and Staff: A Florida Tech College of Engineering Case Study, Annual ASEE Conference and Exhibition, June 26-29, 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana
5. Shaikh, Muzaffar A., Key Factors for Successful Partnership between Industry and Universities: A Case Study of Florida Tech’s Master’s program in Systems Engineering, International Conference on Industry, Engineering & Management Systems (IEMS), March 14-16, 2016, Cocoa Beach, Florida
6. Shaikh, Muzaffar A., Engineering Management Techniques: A Set of Decision-Making Tools for Accenture Consulting, Accenture Consulting, November 20, 2015, Mumbai, India
7. Shaikh, Muzaffar A. and Shoaib M. Shaikh, A Fast Plant-Location Heuristic Using Influencing Factors, 3rd International Conference & Exhibition on Industrial Engineering, November 3-5, 2016, Istanbul, Turkey (Submitted)
8. Shaikh, Muzaffar A., Florida Tech’s Master’s Degree in Systems Engineering for the Industry: A Hybrid Learning Model, the 7th International Conference on Education, Training and Informatics: ICETI 2016, Orlando, Florida, USA on March 8-11, 2016
9. Huang, Wei-Hao, Luis D. Otero, Carlos E. Otero, and Muzaffar A. Shaikh, Impact of Camera Vibration Frequencies on Image Noise for Unmanned Aerial System Applications, IEEE Southeast Conference, Norfolk, VA during March 30th – April 3rd , 2016
10. Otero, Luis D., Mark Moyou, Adrian Peter, and Muzaffar Shaikh, Towards a Remote Sensing System for Railroad Bridge Inspections: A Concrete Crack Detection Component, IEEE Southeast Conference, Norfolk, VA during March 30th – April 3rd , 2016