GLACIER Tax Prep
"GLACIER Tax Prep Software" is available for use in preparing non-resident federal income tax returns. GLACIER Tax Prep is designed exclusively for foreign students, scholars, teachers, researchers, and their dependents who are non-resident aliens (the software will not prepare federal resident returns or state income tax returns.)
Important Information BEFORE Accessing GLACIER Tax Prep
Be sure to review ISSS's "Income Tax Information for International Students and Scholars" prior to logging onto GLACIER Tax Prep. If you are a resident for federal tax purposes the GLACIER Tax Prep software will not help you. Logging into the program will automatically use up one of the limited number of access codes we have paid for. Because the program does NOT assist with resident tax forms, we ask that you not use one of these access codes up unnecessarily. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
GLACIER Tax Prep is an online system; however, it does not file the tax return electronically (the IRS does not currently allow Forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ to be filed electronically.) You must print, sign, and mail the tax returns/forms generated by GLACIER Tax Prep. Therefore, you must have access to a printer, preferably at the time the data is entered.
- You should have all documents regarding current and prior visits to the U.S. available prior to accessing GLACIER Tax Prep. These
- Visa/Immigration Status information: form DS-2019, if J status individual or form I-20, if F status individual
- Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you received any)
- Scholarship/fellowship grant letter (if any)
- Social Security or ITIN # (if you have been assigned one)
- Address Information (US and Foreign address)
- US Entry and Exit Dates for current and past visits to the US
- Copy of last year's federal income tax return (if filed)
- Academic Institution or Host Sponsor Information
- Have all payment documents ready prior to accessing GLACIER Tax Prep (Forms 1042-S, W-2, and 1099, if received.)
- Set aside approximately 30 minutes to devote to completing the process - it's much easier to do it all at once than to have to start and stop repeatedly.
- All information entered into GLACIER Tax Prep is encrypted and secured via SSL technology.
- If you are concerned about entering your email address (and getting unwanted email messages,) please be advised that GLACIER Tax Prep will NOT use the email address for any purpose other than to contact the person if GLACIER Tax Prep finds an error has occurred or GLACIER Tax Prep needs to reach them in connection with their tax return preparation. GLACIER Tax Prep pledges that all of the information is secure and will not be distributed or used by anyone other than GLACIER Tax Prep in connection with the use of GLACIER Tax Prep.
- Keep your GLACIER Tax Prep Password and UserID in a safe place; this information will be necessary should you need to re-enter GLACIER Tax Prep at a later time or if the internet connection fails during the process.
- If there are any problems, simply send an email to the GLACIER Tax Prep Support Center at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I access GLACIER Tax Prep?
Go to the ISSS GLACIER Tax Prep Gateway. Log in using your current TRACKS account and follow directions.
If you no longer hold a valid TRACKS account but were in “F” or “J” status during the previous year and associated with Florida Tech (on OPT or graduated), please contact the ISSS Office (email@example.com) to have a User ID and password assigned to you. After receiving your log in information, go to the Alternative ISSS GLACIER Tax Prep Gateway. Log in and follow the directions.
The FIRST time you log into GLACIER Tax Prep, you will be asked: “Have you already created your User Account?” If you used the CINTAX Tax Program last year, you can log-in using the long-in and password you entered last year. If you do not remember your long-in information, please click on "Forgot Log-In Information," or create a new account. Be sure you keep your log-in and password information available. If you have did not previously use the CINTAX Tax Program, select “No. This is my first time to login this year. I need to create my User Account.”
You will then be prompted to enter your assigned Password. You must then create your User Account by selecting a new Password and your personal UserID. To ensure that your income tax return information remains private and secure, DO NOT share your Password or UserID with anyone. Note: Unauthorized use of the software may compromise the integrity of Florida Tech’s license with GLACIER Tax Prep, potentially affecting our ability to offer the software in the future.
If you return to GLACIER Tax Prep to modify or reprint your tax return, at the GLACIER Tax Prep login page enter the Password and UserID you selected at the time you created your User Account.
How Long is My Password Valid?
During your use of GLACIER Tax Prep, you will be asked whether you would like GLACIER Tax Prep to (i) save your information until June 15th (so that you may reprint or modify your return), or
(ii) Delete your information.
If you select “Save” your information, when you again log into GLACIER Tax Prep, you must enter the Password and UserID you selected when you initially established your User Account. If you selected “Delete” your information, you will be required to create a new User Account and re-enter all your data.
How Can I Get Help?
If you need assistance with GLACIER Tax Prep, click on Online Help at the bottom of any screen; Online Help will provide specific information relating to the topic on that page. If you have a technical issue, contact the GLACIER Tax Prep Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you answer GLACIER Tax Prep's questions about your immigration status, income and related matters, GLACIER Tax Prep will produce (in PDF format) your completed federal income tax forms ready for printing, signature and mailing to the Internal Revenue Service. After making copies of your information (to keep for your records), completed forms should be sent to:
Internal Revenue Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215