J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
Required Funding Documentation for J-1 Visas
Florida Tech is required by law to verify that each person has sufficient funds to cover the period of their stay in the U.S. In most cases, the documentation we require will also be required at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for the J-1 visa (so keep a copy for that purpose).
To obtain your DS-2019 in a timely manner, follow the guidelines below when submitting your request for a new or extension document:
Acceptable Proof of Funds
- Florida Tech department award letters (scholarships, GSI/GSR, grants etc)
- printed on OFFICIAL department letterhead
- must indicate the amount and length of support
- Personal funds:
- bank statements in visitors name showing balance of account
- Private sponsors (must include both of the following):
- letter(s) that shows the relationship between visitor and the sponsor(s), the amount of support and the length of support OR, the Financial Support Guarantee form in lieu of a letter.
- the sponsor's bank or other financial statements showing balance of account
- Other institutional support/award letters
- letter from an employer or another institution on OFFICIAL business letterhead showing amount and length of support in US dollar amounts.
- Loan certificates/letters
- must indicate visitors name and the amount of approved loan
All supporting funding documents must:
- be dated within the past 6 months (older statements will not be accepted),
- be translated into English (especially names)
- clearly show the type of currency and their US dollar (USD) equivalents
- be from statements that show liquid assets that can be converted to cash
- NOT be salary statements or tax documents
Submitting / Resubmitting Documents
Make sure all supporting documents are attached to a copy of your request form before you send them to our office. Missing or separate documents will only slow down the process. The Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) documents cannot be processed until all funding documents are received.