High Tech with a Human Touch
J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
DS-2019 Request Instructions for Florida Tech Departments
The information below is intended for Florida Tech department administrators who are preparing the DS-2019 Request Form for their J-1 Exchange Visitors (scholars). We hope these helpful tips make the process go more smoothly.
The DS-2019 Request Form
Please complete the DS-2019 Request Form. This form is a fillable MS Word form that you must save to your computer before completing. Fill in the form, print it out and submit it to the International Student & Scholar Services Office, along with all the required documents and signatures. If you have any problems with the form, please contact the ISSS Office (674-8053).
Who completes the DS-2019 Request Form
To ensure accuracy and consistency of information, the DS-2019 Request Form should be completed and reviewed by and signed by the department administrators before submission.
Timing Your Request
Submit your request at least two to four months before the scholar's appointment begin date to ensure that the scholar receives the documents needed to obtain a visa.
The J-1 Process Overview information sheet gives a timeline for the steps necessary to bring a scholar to the U.S.
Processing Times to Receive the DS-2019
Our standard processing time for producing the DS-2019 document is 5 business days from receipt of a complete DS-2019 Request Form. Incomplete DS-2019 requests cannot be processed and will be put on hold until complete.
To avoid any delays (and perhaps even get the document earlier), please do the following:
- Attach to the DS-2019 Request Form the appropriate proof of campus approval to invite your scholar such as the Dean's signature.
- Attach to the DS-2019 Request Form evidence of the scholar's funding sources and amounts.
- Indicate on the DS-2019 Request Form the correct spelling of the scholar's name and birth date as they appear in the passport. This information will appear on the DS-2019 itself and must match the passport to prevent problems for the scholar's visa and entry into the U.S.
The ISSS Office reserves the right to estimate an appropriate start date on the Form DS-2019 based on the following factors:
- the standard 5 business days processing time
- the necessary time for documents to reach the visitor via Federal Express
- the estimated time for the visitor to obtain a visa at a U.S. consulate
- the scholar's ability to make reasonable travel arrangements