Visit Florida Tech
- Undergraduate Degrees
- Graduate Degrees
- Off-Campus Programs
- Online Learning
- Continuing Education Programs
- University Catalog
- Incoming Students
- Current Students
- Maintaining your Immigration Status
- Health Insurance
- On-Campus Employment
- Off-Campus Employment (OPT, CPT, Eco Hardship)
- Social Security Numbers
- Bringing Your Family
- GLACIER Tax Prep
- Program Extension
- Online Education
- Changing Your Immigration Status
- Full Course of Study Requirements
- Leave of Absence
- M-1 Student Information
- For Departments
- Exchange Visitors
- Employer Information
- Programs and Events
- Certification of Enrollment Request (submit on-line)
- Recommendation for Less Than Full-time Load (fillable)
- Request for Social Security Card
- Curricular Practical Training Application Packet
- On Site Component Report
- Optional Practical Training Request
Optional Practical Training Reporting
- F-1/J-1 Student Request for Program Extension
- Optional Practical Training STEM Extension Request
- Assessment for Prospective Foreign National Employee or Visitor
- Export Control Certification
- Financial Certificate for Undergraduate Program of Study
- Financial Certificate for Graduate Program of Study
- Dependent Visa Request
- Contact Info
J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
Maintaining J-1 Status for Researchers and Professors
It is important to understanding the laws and regulations affecting your immigration status. Although Florida Tech's International Student & Scholar Services Office Advisers are available to counsel you on the legal complexities, the following basic guidelines will help you avoid unnecessary problems:
Maintain Your Academic Objective
You were granted a DS-2019 based on an academic objective agreed upon between you and your host department. The Department of State requires that this objective be maintained throughout your stay in J-1 status. If you plan to change your objective in any way, please notify Florida Tech's ISSS Office about your plan to be sure it is legally allowed.
Maintain A Valid DS-2019
Each J-1 scholar must always have a valid DS-2019 from his/her program sponsor. Remember that extensions, transfers, and changes in status can take at least two months to process.
Maintain Your Health Insurance
You and any accompanying dependents are required to maintain health insurance for the entire period of your stay in the U.S. Your health insurance coverage must meet specific criteria as outlined by J-1 federal regulations.
Get Work Authorization from ISSS Office
Any off-campus work authorization must be pre-approved by an advisor at Florida Tech's ISSS Office before the date of the proposed work.
Keep Your Local Address Updated
Anytime you move, you are required to notify the ISSS Office within ten days of moving. Be sure to include any J-2 dependents with you. This information is then reported to the Department of State/SEVIS as required by immigration rules & regulations.
Notify Florida Tech's ISSS Office of Early Completion
If you are planning to complete your J-1 program more than 30 days prior to the end date on your DS-2019, notify the ISSS Office as well as your host department. This information must be updated in SEVIS so that you will not be held accountable for the additional time that you are not in the program.
© Florida Institute of Technology.
All rights reserved.