Lynn E. Weaver
President from 1987 to 2002
In 1987, Dr. Lynn Edward Weaver became Florida Tech's third president. Dr. Weaver received a B.S.E.E. from the University of Missouri, a M.S.E.E. from Southern Methodist University, and a Ph.D. from Purdue University. Prior to his position at Florida Tech, Dr. Weaver was the dean of engineering at Auburn University. During his distinguished career, he also served as associate dean for the College of Engineering at the University of Oklahoma and as director for the School of Nuclear Engineer and Health Physics at Georgia Institute of Technology.
Florida Tech Today Online states that during his tenure at Florida Tech, Dr. Weaver "orchestrated significant improvements in the university's academic reputation, physical plant, budget, endowment and research programs. In 1997, he was instrumental in securing for the school a $50 million grant from the F. W. Olin Foundation, which has been used to erect new buildings for engineering and life sciences and to establish number of endowed scholarships." The relationship Dr. Weaver forged with the F. W. Olin Foundation is one of many legacies he left Florida Tech.
Chair of the board of trustees, John T. Hartley, commented to Florida Tech Today Online that Dr. Weaver "put Florida Tech on the U.S. map, and the school is now recognized widely as one of the premiere technological universities in the Southeast. He believes strongly that the school is poised to make that next big leap to national prominence."
Dr. Lynn Edward Weaver retired in July 2002.
John E. Miller
President from 1986 to 1987
Dr. John E. Miller served as president of Florida Tech from 1986-1987. Dr. Miller was vice president for academic affairs from 1966 until 1975. According to Florida TODAY, his role "was expanded to include the duties of executive vice president," a position he held until becoming president in 1986.
Dr. Miller received a B.S. from Randolph Macon College and his M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. Some of his outstanding accomplishments included receiving a senior science fellowship at Stanford University and the position of Distinguished Professor of Physics at Clemson University. Dr. Miller also served in the United States Army during World War II.
According to Crimson, Florida Tech's student newspaper, Dr. Miller is attributed with helping Florida Tech obtain accreditation for its doctoral programs from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The newspaper also stated that Dr. Miller's paramount contribution to the university was as architect during Florida Tech's academic growth.
After his term as president of Florida Tech, Dr. Miller spent four years teaching for the physics and space sciences department before retiring from the university.
Dr. John E. Miller passed away on December 14, 1993.
Jerome P. Keuper
President from 1958 to 1986
Dr. Jerome P. Keuper was the founder and first president of Florida Tech. Dr. Keuper received a B.S. from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an M.S. from Stanford University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. According to Florida Tech Today Online, "Dr. Keuper came to the Space Coast in 1958 as chief scientist in RCA's Systems Analysis Group." His career included director of the Federal Reserve of Independent Colleges and Universities, where he also served as chair of the Council of Presidents. Dr. Keuper also served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
Under Keuper's guidance, Florida Tech grew from 225 students in 1958, to more than 7,500 in 1983. Dr. Jerome P. Keuper passed away on March 26, 2002.
Dr. Lynn Weaver commented to Florida Tech Today Online, "Dr. Keuper's spirit is in every part of the Florida Tech campus. His vision, his drive to succeed and his unparalleled optimism made [Florida Tech] possible. It is a remarkable thing to create a university and Dr. Keuper was certainly a remarkable man."