What are the features of FLYING START?
- You will start your college experience early and get a jump start on both your education and the fun at Florida Tech.
- You will be the first to fly.
- You will be the first to know both the campus and the flight line.
- You will be the first to achieve Florida Tech degree credits (five credits at a value of $5,850).
- You will be the first to get to know your program, faculty & flight instructors.
- You will be the first to get to know our student life.
- You will be the first to start your college friendships with your classmates.
- You will be the first to work on skills for a successful college career.
- You will be the first to learn about career and internship opportunities.
- You will be the first to know the Melbourne area.
What are the benefits of FLYING START?
New students have the opportunity to begin their College of Aeronautics’ experience with the extras that come only with the summer start. Numerous campus activities are included, to add fun to the FLYING START college experience.
The FLYING START program & NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION, begins June 18th, 2018, with residence hall check-in. Any FLYING START student may move in as early as June 14th, however a $25 per day fee will be charged. (Please note: Brevard County Beaches, as well as Orlando resorts make great vacation locations. Families may want to consider planning a vacation around your student's travel to Florida Tech. The week prior to the Fourth of July holiday is a very popular vacation period at the beaches and resorts, so consider making reservations as soon as possible)
FLYING START concludes July 27th, 2018. This allows for a two week vacation break before parents and students are to be present for orientation for the fall semester on August 13th (the first day of classes begins on August 20th, 2018). Students may stay on after July 27th to complete their training if they need to.
What are the fees for FLYING START?
FLYING START will have 2 tracks:
- Track 1: Flight 1 Private Pilot License (PPL)
- The minimum cost for FLYING START I will be $8,937.50, which will include: flight costs ($6,842.50), Ground School ($695), Housing ($150 per week) & meal plan ($500 includes 50 all you care to eat meals in Panther Dining Hall + $100 FlexCredit).
- Track II: Flight 2: (Commercial Time Building)
- The minimum cost for FLYING START II will be $7,294.50 which will include: flight costs ($5,894.50), Housing ($150 per week) & meal plan ($500 includes 50 all you care to eat meals in Panther Dining Hall + $100 FlexCredit).
What supplies will I need?
Private Pilot Kit $292.90 Plus Tax = $313.40
- Private Pilot (ACS)
- Private Pilot Test Prep Package (ASA)
- Sporty's Flight Gear Bag
- E6B Flight Computer (ASA)
- Fuel Test Cup
- AFH/PHAK - Combo
- Weather - Combo
- ASA - View limiting Device (Hood)
- VFR Knee Board (KB1)
- (ASA)Log Book SP-40
- ASA-Oral exam Guide - Private
- Warrior III Pilot Information Manual
- Fixed Plotter
What deposits are required?
As a student accepted into the entering class of fall 2018, you will need to reserve a place in the FLYING START program by submitting a required $2,000 deposit which includes the residence hall deposit, prior to June 1. The remaining balance will be due on the first day of class (June 18th). Any student may pay the entire amount prior to June 18th. Deposits, or entire payments, may be sent in one of the following ways:
- Log onto our website and send it electronically - http://www.fitaviation.com/deposit/
- Send a check to FIT Aviation:
801 Harry Goode Way
Melbourne, FL 32901
(Please put student’s name in the memo section)
- Wire transfer (call for more information)
Whom may I contact with questions?
We look forward to receiving your Registration Form and serving you at Florida Tech.