Skip Navigation

Career Services


Getting major-related work experience can be a great way for you to apply what you have learned in the classroom and can help clarify career goals. In addition, you will gain a competitive edge in the full-time job search because you have the skills and relevant experience that employers are seeking. Career Services provides assistance to students seeking major-related work experiences and also administers the Co-op Program which enables students to gain academic credit for their experiences.  

An internship is a major-related work experience that usually lasts one semester, may be paid or unpaid, full-time or part-time, and may or may not be for credit. A summer job, volunteer, or community service position that is major-related could also be considered an internship. The key in any internship is gaining hands on, major-related experience.

Students are encouraged to register with Career Services on Handshake where they can view internship postings and receive notifications of opportunities. Students may also schedule an appointment with a career advisor to receive assistance with résumés , cover letters, or any aspect of the job search. 

NOTE: Be sure to update your Handshake profile and résumé every semester.

If your academic department has a required internship or offers an internship course, you should meet with your academic advisor to discuss the requirements of that program.  Career Services is still available to assist you in finding the internship position.

If your academic department does not offer academic internship credit, you may receive academic credit for your internship experiences through the Co-op Program, providing they meet the requirements of the program. 

Requirements for International Students

International students are frequently interested in gaining practical work experience before they graduate, but there are many regulations and requirements that need to be met before considering an internship or co-op. Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows an international student to work in a job that is an integral part of an established curriculum for which academic credit is awarded. The employment must be an important component of the student's academic program. For specific information on regulations for international students please contact International Student and Scholar Services at or call 321-674-8053.

For more information about working either on-campus or off-campus, visit the International Student Employment Information page.