Skip Navigation

Career Services

Federal Work Study

For questions concerning the Federal Work-Study Program, please call (321) 674-8846 or e-mail

*COVID-19 Annoucement
During this period where students may be prevented from work due to campus changes, students may still be paid through disaster funds by submitting their scheduled hours in PAWS and completing the following reporting form and submitting to 

2020 FWS Reporting Lost Hours Form

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is an employment program funded jointly by the federal government and either the university or an off-campus nonprofit-employer. FWS funds are paid directly to the student as earned. The funds may be used for whatever the student chooses. To be considered for FWS, students must indicate that they are interested in the program on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FWS awards are made by the Financial Aid Office to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who qualify based on their FAFSA.

Due to the numerous factors involved in the determination of awards, FWS cannot be guaranteed every year. Interested students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA and check their financial aid account to see if FWS has been awarded. Only students who are awarded FWS in their financial aid package are eligible for this program. The program provides part-time employment opportunities for eligible students and has two options, On-Campus & Community Service.

On-Campus Federal Work-Study ($8.46/hour and up)

There are numerous on-campus work-study employment opportunities for eligible students. Students may apply for any job they are interested in, but they may only hold one job at a time. Participating students may only work up to 20 hours per week, and are not permitted to work during scheduled classes . All on-campus work-study employees begin at the minimum pay rate below when starting a new position:

Job TypeMinimum
Pay Rate
Pay Rate
Clerical, Office, Assistants $8.46 $9.00 Faculty Assistants, Receptionists, Secretaries, Internal Project Assistant, Office Assistants, Event Assistant, Media/Web Assistant, Auditing Assistant, Building Assistant (Student Activities), Collections Assistant
Facilities, Dining, Athlectics $8.46 $9.00 Groundskeeper/Plant Care, Boat House, Aquarist, Plumber, Painters, Mail Room, Sports Teams, Pool Cleaning, Ticketing Assistant, Study Table Assistant, Athletic Training, Equipment/Team Manager, Intramural Officer

Ambassadors, Aministrators (managerial duties)

$9 $9.75

School Ambassadors, Student Operations Managers, Analysts, Payroll/ Statisticians, Liaisons, Web Managers, Marketing, Journalism Photography, Reporters, Alumni Philanthropy, Athletic Communications, Newsletter Writing/Editing, Archiving

Tutors $9 $9.75

Academic Support Center, Writer’s Den, BATD Tutor, MAC Tutor

Technical, IT, Lab/Research Tech
(pertaining to research that is not grant-funded nor for purpose of publication)
$10 $11

Lab Technicians, Programmers, (Web/App) Designers/ Developers, Coders, Data Architect, Robotics, Engineering, Classroom technology, Machine Shop, Audio/Visual Technicians, BATD, Graphic Editing/Design (w/photography), Ocean Tech, Electricians, Tech Support Analysts, Music Lab Tech, Behavior Tech (Scott Center)

Lifeguards $10 $11 Aquatic Center-Must have Lifeguard certification
Lab/Research Assistants (grant-funded and/or for publication purposes)  $11 $12 Academic Lab/Research work that pertains to research being funded or governed by a research body, and/or certainly leading to a scholarly publication. (Internal office/department research does not apply)

Federal Work-Study Community Service ($14/hour)

The Community Service program provides off-campus, part-time employment to eligible students. These positions pay $14/hour and students may work up to 20 hours per week. The work must be performed with an agency that is contracted with Career Management Services. Students are responsible for transportation to their job site, but most sites are close to campus. The following agencies have positions available:

  1. Greater Melbourne Police Activities League - Tutor
  2. Rolling Readers - Tutor/ Read aloud elementary children
  3. STEM Tech Academy After School Program - Tutor

Please contact the Student Employment Coordinator for more details.

New Incoming Student Process

1. Accept your FWS Award (not all students are awarded!)

  • Log into Access Florida Tech with your TRACKS account:          
  • Click on PAWS > Financial Aid > Award > Award for Aid Year 19-20 > Accept Federal Work Study Award

2. Complete Hire Paperwork

Come to Career Management Services Office to complete:  (MUST have 2 original, unexpired IDs with you!)

  • I9 Form (see list of eligible IDs)
  • W4 Form
  • Direct Deposit form 

You will receive your Hire ("Blue") Form once you have completed the hire paperwork and provided 2 forms of original ID.  A list of acceptable forms of ID can be found on page 3 of the I-9 Form.

3. Search Positions on Handshake 

  • Search for open positions on our online job board, Handshake, using the "On-Campus" search filter (all of these jobs will be for FWS)
  • Apply to the job as outlined in the posted job description. You will NOT apply for FWS jobs on Handshake.
  • Have the the hiring supervisor sign your Hire (Blue) Form

4. Submit your Signed Blue Form to Career Services

  • Submit your signed Hire (Blue) Form to Career Services in-person, or take a picture of it send and email to
  • You may not begin work until your start date, received in an authorization e-mail! 

5. Wait for your authorization to work BEFORE you start working!

  • Once you've submitted the completed blue form, wait to receive your authorized start date via email from Please allow 2-5 business days to receive the email. You may begin working the day of the start date or any day after, but not before. You are not eligible to earn money before your start date.