The University is committed to creating a safe and ethical environment and with this commitment, all current and new faculty, staff, and employees, including undergraduate and graduate student employees, are required to complete training courses about compliance obligations.
In order to meet state and federal requirements as well as University policy, University employees and students may be required to take mandatory training courses. Some training courses may be required on an annual basis based on the employee’s roles and responsibilities.
As manager, you are responsible for ensuring that your employees complete their required compliance training. Compliance training is intended to help employees gain an understanding of the laws, rules, and policies that govern employees when they carry out official duties.
Effective January 4, 2021 mandatory compliance training for all Florida Tech employees will continue to be annual, with a few course exceptions that will be periodic.
HSI - Required Trainings for Employees & Student Employees
|Hazard Communication||20 Mins||X||X||Initial & Periodic*|
|Discrimination Free Workplace||35 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Violence in the Workplace||30 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace||20 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Prevention||30 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Computer Security||25 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Active Shooter Response||25 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Slips, Trips and Falls||25 Mins||X||X||Initial & Periodic*|
|Emergency & Fire Preparedness||25 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Fire Extinguisher Safety||20 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
|Title IX: Roles of Employees||24 Mins||X||X||Initial and Annual|
*Additional courses may be required based upon position.
*Initial & Periodic= One-time initial training with every two years retrain frequency involved;*5-10 minute course refresher required in between.
New hires are required to complete most of the training courses listed above during their first 60 days of employment through HSI. The employee must develop a plan with their supervisor in order to complete the courses before the deadline.
Note: Anyone hired into a paid Staff or Faculty position will NOT NEED a Contract Contingent Worker form (CCW). All new hires are sent to the Office of Compliance and Risk Management bi-weekly and assign staff or faculty in the appropriate courses in HSI. During New Hire Orientation, new hires are provided the information regarding compliance training courses. The new hire will also receive an email from HSI indicating they have required courses to complete.
Employees and student employees may be asked to complete other compliance training based on their job responsibilities or as directed by their supervisor. They include, but are not limited to:
- Campus Security Training (CSA)
- FERPA: Confidentiality of Records
- Protection of Minors on Campus
Note: Faculty and staff who do not complete the required training by the established deadline will be referred to management and Human Resources for appropriate disciplinary action.
Please contact the Office of Compliance and Risk Management (OCRM) if you have any questions regarding training. OCRM will direct you to other departments if needed.
Compliance Requirements for Students (Undergraduate & Graduate)
The following compliance training courses are mandatory for every student (undergraduate & graduate) to complete:
- Title IX – Sexual Violence Prevention: To fulfill our mandated legal requirements for sexual harassment and sexual violence prevention education, every Florida Tech student is required to complete sexual violence prevention compliance training course through Vivid LMS/HSI.
- Duration: Sexual Violence Prevention for Undergraduate Students (78 minutes)
- Duration: Sexual Violence Prevention for Graduate Students (96 minutes)
- Duration: Title IX Essentials for International Students (29 minutes)
- Duration: Title IX Rights and Protections (Online Students only - 15 minutes)
- Alcohol and Other Drugs: Alcohol and Other Drugs is a reality-driven online course designed to educate students on the risk of the abuse of alcohol and other drugs, and to teach successful strategies for handling dangerous situations related to these substances. The course features four modules: Your GPA, Your Brain, Your Peers, and Your Life. Each section provides extensive, research-backed evidence of the detrimental effects alcohol and other drugs can have, and how social skills and interactions can help reduce harm associated with these substances.
- Duration: 48 Minutes
The following additional training courses are mandatory for new students (undergraduate & graduate) to complete:
- Diversity Awareness: This course provides students with an awareness of how a diverse student body, as well as diverse college faculty and staff members, strengthen a campus. It also provides tools to ensure that diversity is embraced on campus.
- Duration: 23 minutes
- Email and Messaging Safety: Email is the primary means of attack from cyber-perpetrators. This course provides an overview of cybercrime via email, and how to employ safe email and messaging practices to avoid and help prevent cyber threats, attempts at fraud and identity theft.
- Duration: 14 minutes
This training promotes awareness and play an important role in Florida Tech’s sexual harassment and sexual violence prevention efforts. Remember, compliance is everyone's responsibility. Being accountable in your role as a student is a requirement which means your attention to complete these courses are very important and much appreciated.
Compliance Requirements for Online Students
The following training course is required for full-seeking degree online students
- Title IX Rights and Protections
NOTE: Students may be asked to complete other compliance training based on their status with the University. They include, but are not limited to:
- Sexual Violence Prevention Essentials for Athletics (NCAA)
- Concussion Awareness
- Student Employees: Additional courses are required depending on your job role.
How To Complete Your Annual Compliance Training
Once you receive your initial email from Human Resources and HSI listing your required courses, sign in to HSI through TRACKS to take the training courses assigned to you. You will receive regular reminders until you have fulfilled the requirements. The training is customized based on the university and job requirements.
Follow the step-by-step instructions to learn more about how to take the training: How to Complete Compliance Training Courses
Non-Florida Tech Individuals
Individuals not affiliated with the University such as guests, volunteers, and contractors may be required to complete compliance training related to their role on campus. A Contract Contingent Worker Form (CCW) should be submitted to email@example.com for processing. Once approved, the information is sent to the Office of Compliance and Risk. An assessment will be made based on the role by EH&S and Compliance and the individual will be enrolled in appropriate compliance courses in HSI as needed. They will receive an email from Vivid/HSI indicating the compliance courses they have been enrolled in.
NOTE: For any active Student, Student Worker, Staff, or Faculty volunteering for a role in and above their paid position, please proceed as follows:
1. Submit a Contract Contingent Worker Form (CCW) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the individual has an account in Workday, the form will not be processed but retained for Human Resources' files.
2. The Professor, Department Head, or Department Assistant must email the full name, EID (900#), and a job description to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) - (email@example.com).
3. EH&S will determine the applicable HSI Compliance Courses according to the job description. EH&S will email the information to the Office of Compliance and Risk Management for appropriate course enrollment.
4. The Contingent Worker will receive an email from HSI regarding the compliance courses they must complete. It is the responsibility of the worker to ensure they complete the required courses.
Please contact the Office of Compliance and Risk (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions regarding compliance training.
Tips for Navigating Technical Difficulties:
- For training under HSI, Google Chrome or Firefox is the recommended browser on laptop or desktop.
- Must download the current version of iOS/browser version.
- If you are still experiencing difficulties accessing your course, please check the following:
- Restart your browser. Note: On a Mac you’ll need to quit the browser fully. Please use Chrome or MS Edge on a Mac when completing the courses. Safari is not a compatible browser.
- Make sure you use a recent version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. If you have any pending updates, they may need to be completed to move forward with training.
- Clear your browser’s cache, which is typically located under your browser’s history settings.
- Check Third Party Cookie Setting (Under General Settings) in Chrome. Make sure it's not selected as blocked.
- Recommended to use a laptop or desktop - iPhone or iPad can cause barriers/issues.
- Please add the following url to your allow pop-ups and redirects: https://otis.osmanager4.com/#/saml/login/2690369.
- If you are still experiencing technical issues or need any other assistance, please contact HSI Company customer service:
Phone: (800)447-3177; Monday-Friday, 7:00am-5:00 pm (PST) Email: email@example.com.
- Please see additional troubleshooting tips provided by Vector Solutions: Vector Troubleshooting Tips; Customer support email:
- Upon completion of the course videos and exam, click Save Progress. This will ensure it saves your work. You can go back to your Home Screen to see the certificate to confirm.
Supervisors: Please verify that employees complete required training courses by the applicable deadlines.