Driver Responsibilities & Safety Procedures
No person is permitted to drive university-owned, lease, rented or borrowed vehicle unless approved by the Office of Compliance and Risk Management.
- All drivers must possess a U.S. valid driver's license. Employees must obtain a valid Florida license within 60 days of commencing employment at the university.
- All drivers must wear a seat belt at all times and ensure that all passengers do so as well.
- Operate the vehicle in a courteous and safe manner.
- All applicable traffic laws, ordinances and regulations must be obeyed.
- Travel on university related business only. Personal use is prohibited and will result in denial of insurance benefits should an accident occur.
- Drivers receiving traffic citations or violations while operating a university vehicle shall be responsible for paying in full any outstanding fines in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- The use of any tobacco products is prohibited in university-insured vehicles, utility vehicles and golf carts.
- Alcoholic beverages and/or illegal substances are prohibited in university vehicles.
- Drivers may not use cell phones or other electronic communication devices while operating vehicles on university business or for other university purposes.
- Talking or texting on a cell phone or engaging in other distracting activities such as eating or texting while transporting passengers is prohibited.
- Any accidents must be immediately reported to the supervisor and the Office of Compliance and Risk Management.
Individuals who do not comply with the safety policies and procedures of the University will be reported to their immediate supervisor, the Office of Compliance and Risk, and the Office of Human Resources.
Golf Cart Operating Procedures
- All operators of carts must have a U.S. valid driver's license in their possession while operating a cart, as well as a valid identification card and certification of training kept in their personal record.
- Employees, students, operators, or anyone else using or attempting to use a cart on campus shall attend a training session. Training sessions will be conducted by the Facilities Office.
- All operators shall operate the cart at speeds in a safe manner as determined by the traffic in which they are operating.
- Carts may not be operated off-campus, on public roads or streets. This does not prohibit carts from crossing a road or street at an intersection, protected by traffic signals or crosswalks.
- Carts can only be driven on sidewalks, parking lots, or traffic ways by the university. They are not to be driven on the roadways or bicycle lanes.
Please review the Safety Procedures & Rules for Golf Carts and University-Owned Vehicles and Approved Golf Cart Routes for additional safety operating procedures.