Counseling And Psychological Services
How Have You Taken Care Of Yourself Today?
Psychological self-help can give you tools to help you deepen self-awareness and cope with everyday life in healthier ways. Whether you are working with a mental health professional or looking to improve your emotional well-being on your own, there are so many self-help strategies and techniques that you can practice outside of therapy to help you succeed! Coping strategies for difficult thoughts/emotions can be very individual; therefore, this general list of coping techniques is a great place to start helping yourself feel better and moving forward! Many people feel better when they:
- Keep to a routine of getting up, getting dressed, going to classes, studying, etc., even if you don't feel like it. Sometimes just doing the routine can help you feel better.
- Eat a healthy diet. Your body needs food in order for your mind to function well.
- Sleep! Go to bed and get up at regular times. This routine can help you to regulate your sleep/wake cycle.
- Exercise and engage in physical activity. This can help you work off stress, clear your head, and improve your mood. Start with a few minutes a day and work up to 20-30 minutes every day.
- Avoid substances like alcohol and other drugs. While they may give you some temporary relief, they can also exacerbate and can intensify your symptoms.
- Engage in activities that you have found enjoyable in the past, such as:
- Taking a bath
- Watching a movie
- Going for a walk
- Listening to Music
- Eating your favorite food
- Reach out to a friend, family member, mentor or spiritual advisor.
- Talk with your primary care provider about whether medication might be helpful.
- Talk to a professional therapist on campus. Effective help is available!
For additional coping strategies, check out the additional self-help resource tabs, apps, and articles!
*Note: As you are working on your emotional well-being, please remember this website is not intended to replace a counselor to help you work through your concerns. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us anytime during our business hours for additional help!