Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM Request
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "OPT STEM Extension Application Documents". Your request cannot be processed until all documents and this form are submitted.Once all documents are submitted, please allow 3-5 business days for processing your request.
- Copy of current OPT/EAD Card
- Copy of completed Form I-765
- Copy of completed Form I-983 (page 5 does not need to be completed at this time)
Statement of Understanding
- I have thoroughly read and understood the 24-month OPT Extension for STEM degree holders information provided.
- I have not previously received more than one (17 or 24-month) OPT extension after earning a STEM degree.
- I have maintained valid F-1 status since I began my study at Florida Institute of Technology.
- I understand that I must report to my DSO (using the OPT Reporting Form) any change to the following within 10 days:
- legal name
- residential or mailing address
- employer name
- employer address
- loss of employment
- I understand that I am required to make a validation report to my DSO every six months starting from the date the extension begins and ending when my F-1 status ends; I change educational levels within Florida Tech; I wish to transfer to another school; or the 24-month OPT extension ends, whichever is first. I understand that the validation is a confirmation that my name and address, employer name and address and/or loss of employment are current and accurate. This six-month validation report is due to my DSO within 10 business days of each reporting date. Such validation reporting should be made using the OPT Reporting Form.
- I understand that if there are any material changes to or deviations from the training opportunity described on Form I-983, my employer and I must submit a modified I-983 Training Plan to email@example.com. Examples of material changes include, but are not limited to:
- A significant decrease in my work hours per week;
- Any decrease in my hours worked below 20 hours per week (other than due to time off pursuant to employer's leave policy)
- Any reduction in my compensation (other than due to a reduction in my work hours)
- A change in my employer's EIN number due to a corporate restructuring
- Any change or deviation from the existing plan that would render my I-983 training plan or my employer's attestations inaccurate
- I understand that I am required to submit 12-month and 24-month evaluations using form I-983. The evaluations should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I understand that accruing an aggregate of more than 150 days of unemployment during the total of 36-month OPT period will result in a violation of the requirements for remaining in valid F-1 status.