Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering
My research lies at the intersection of remote sensing with hydrology, hydrometeorology, and geomorphology. My work involves the application of state-of-art remote sensing observations in combination with numerical and statistical models to advance understanding and predictability of water cycle components and weather-related hazards at a range of spatial and temporal scales.
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Connecticut, 2010
Master of Science, University of Iowa, 2004
Engineering Diploma, Technical University of Crete, 2002
Recognition & Awards
Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship, 2013
Outstanding Thesis Award, School of Engineering, Univ. of Connecticut, 2010
NASA Earth System Science Graduate Fellowship, 2007
Advanced Graduate Student Award, Env. Eng. Program, Univ. of Connecticut, 2007
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 2019 – present
Assistant Research Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2016 – 2019
Senior Research Scientist, Dept. of Physics, University of Athens, 2015 – 2016
Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow, Land, Environment, Agriculture and Forestry, University of Padova, 2013 – 2015
CVE 3052 Municipal Water and Wastewater Treatment Systems
American Geophysical Union
European Geophysical Union
Marie Curie Alumni Association
Technical Chamber of Greece
Refereed Journals (* denotes that lead author is a student I advise/co-advise)
- *Bhuiyan, M.A.E., Nikolopoulos, E.I. and Anagnostou, E.N., (2019). Machine Learning-based Blending of Satellite and Reanalysis Precipitation Datasets: A Multi-regional Tropical Complex Terrain Evaluation. Journal of Hydrometeorology.
- Sofia, G., Eltner, A., Nikolopoulos, E. and Crosby, C., (2019). Leading Progress in Digital Terrain Analysis and Modeling. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf.8(9), 372
- Marra, F., E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou, A. Bardossy and E. Morin, (2019). Precipitation Frequency Analysis from Remotely Sensed Datasets: A Focused Review. Journal of Hydrology, 574, 699-705.
- *McGraw, D., E.I. Nikolopoulos, F. Marra, and E.N. Anagnostou (2019). Precipitation frequency analyses based on radar estimates: An evaluation over the contiguous United States. Journal of Hydrology, 573, 299-310.
- *Bhuiyan, M. A. E., E.I. Nikolopoulos, E. N. Anagnostou, J. Polcher, C. Albergel, E. Dutra, G. Fink, A. Martinez de la Torre, S. Munier (2019). Assessment of Precipitation Error Propagation in Multi-Model Global Water Resources Reanalysis. Earth Syst. Sci. (accepted).
- *Koukoula M., E.I. Nikolopoulos, J. Kushta, N.S. Bartsotas, G. Kallos, E.N. Anagnostou (2019). A Numerical Sensitivity Analysis of Soil Moisture Feedback on Convective Precipitation. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 20 (1), 23-44
- *Lakew, H.B., S.A. Moges, E.N. Anagnostou, E.I. Nikolopoulos, and D.H. Asfaw (2019). Evaluation of Global Water Resources Reanalysis Runoff Products for Local Water Resources Applications: Case Study-Upper Blue Nile Basin of Ethiopia. Water Resources Management, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-019-2190-y.
- Diakakis, M., E. Andreadakis, E. I. Nikolopoulos, N. I. Spyrou, M. E. Gogou, G. Deligiannakis, N. K. Katsetsiadou et al. (2019). An integrated approach of ground and aerial observations in flash flood disaster investigations. The case of the 2017 Mandra flash flood in Greece. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 33, 290-309.
- *Hardesty S, X. Shen, E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou (2018). A Numerical Framework for Evaluating Flood Inundation Risk under Different Dam Operation Scenarios, Water, 10(12), 1798.
- Nikolopoulos, E. I., Destro, E., Bhuiyan, M. A. E., Borga, M., and Anagnostou, E. N. (2018). Evaluation of predictive models for post-fire debris flows occurrence in the western United States, Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 18(9), 2331-2343.
- Anagnostou, M.N.; Nikolopoulos, E.I.; Kalogiros, J.; Anagnostou, E.N.; Marra, F.; Mair, E.; Bertoldi, G.; Tappeiner, U.; Borga, M (2018). Advancing Precipitation Estimation and Streamflow Simulations in Complex Terrain with X-Band Dual-Polarization Radar Observations. Remote Sens., 10, 1258.
- Marra, F., Nikolopoulos, E.I., Anagnostou, E.N. and Morin, E. (2018). Metastatistical Extreme Value analysis of hourly rainfall from short records: Estimation of high quantiles and impact of measurement errors. Advances in Water Resources, 117, pp.27-39.
- *Bartsotas, N.S., Anagnostou, E.N., Nikolopoulos, E.I. and Kallos, G. (2018). Investigating satellite precipitation uncertainty over complex terrain. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres.\
- *Bhuiyan, M.A.E, E.I. Nikolopoulos, E. N. Anagnostou, P. Quintana-Seguí, A. Barella-Ortiz (2018). A nonparametric statistical technique for combining global precipitation datasets: development and hydrological evaluation over the Iberian Peninsula. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 22, 1371-1389.
- *Destro E., W. Amponsah, E.I. Nikolopoulos, L. Marchi, F. Marra, D. Zoccatelli and M. Borga (2018). Coupled prediction of flash flood response and debris flow occurrence: application on an alpine extreme flood event, Journal of Hydrology, 558, 225-237.
- *Mei, Y., E.N. Anagnostou, X. Shen, and E.I. Nikolopoulos (2017). Decomposing the satellite precipitation error propagation through the rainfall-runoff processes. Advances in Water Resources, 109, 253-266.
- Marra, F., E. Destro, E.I. Nikolopoulos, D. Zoccatelli, F. Guzzetti, and M. Borga (2017). Impact of rainfall spatial aggregation on the identification of debris flow occurrence thresholds. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 21(9), 4525-4532.
- Nikolopoulos E.I., E. Destro, V. Maggioni, F. Marra and M. Borga (2017). Satellite-rainfall estimates for debris flow prediction: An evaluation based on rainfall accumulation-duration thresholds. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 18(8), 2207-2214.
- Maggioni V., E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou and M. Borga (2017). Modeling satellite precipitation errors over mountainous terrain: the influence of gauge density, seasonality, and temporal resolution, IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, PP(99), 1-11.
- Diakakis, M, E I Nikolopoulos, S Mavroulis, E Vassilakis, and E Korakaki. (2017). Observational evidence on the effects of mega-fires on the frequency of hydrogeomorphic hazards. The case of the Peloponnese fires of 2007 in Greece, Science of the Total Environment, 592, 262–76.
- *Destro E., F. Marra, E.I. Nikolopoulos, D. Zoccatelli, J.D. Creutin and M. Borga (2017). Spatial estimation of debris flows-triggering rainfall and its dependence on rainfall return period, Journal of Geomorphology, 278 IS, 269-279.
- *Bartsotas N., E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou, S. Solomos, G. Kallos (2017). Moving towards sub-km modeling grid spacings: Impacts on atmospheric and hydrological simulations of extreme flash-flood inducing storms. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 18(1), 209-226.
- *Sahlu, D., S.A. Moges, E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou, D. Hailu (2017). Evaluation of High-Resolution Multisatellite and Reanalysis Rainfall Products over East Africa. Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2017, Article ID 4957960.
- *Sahlu D., E.I. Nikolopoulos, S.A. Moges, E.N. Anagnostou and D. Hailu (2016). First evaluation of the integrated multi-satellite retrieval for GPM (IMERG) over the upper Blue Nile Basin, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 17(11), 2875-2882.
- Shen, X., H.J. Vergera, E.I. Nikolopoulos, E. N. Anagnostou, Y. Hong, Z. hao and K. Zhang (2016). GDBC: A tool for generating global-scale distributed basin morphometry. Environmental Modelling & Software, 83, 212-223.
- *Mei, Y., E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou, D. Zoccatelli and M. Borga (2016). Error analysis of satellite precipitation-driven modeling of flood events in complex alpine terrain, Remote Sensing, 8(4), 293
- Derin Y., N. Anagnostou, A. Berne, M. Borga, B. Boudevillain, W. Buytaert, C-H Chang, G. Delrieu, Y. Hong, Y.C. Hsu, W. Lavado-Casimiro, B. Manz, S. Moges, E.I. Nikolopoulos, D. Sahlu, F. Salerno, J.-P. Rodríguez-Sánchez, H.J. Vergara and K. Yilmaz (2016). Multi-regional satellite precipitation products evaluation over complex terrain, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 17(6). 1817-1836.
- *Mei, Y., E.I. Nikolopoulos, E.N. Anagnostou, and M. Borga (2016). Evaluating satellite precipitation error propagation in runoff simulations of mountainous basins, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 17(5), 1407-1423.
- Marra, F., E.I. Nikolopoulos, J.-D. Creutin, and M. Borga (2015). Space-time organization of debris flows-triggering rainfall and its effect on the identification of the rainfall threshold relationship, Journal of Hydrology, 541 Part A IS, 246-255.
- *Mei, Y., E.N. Anagnostou, E.I. Nikolopoulos and M. Borga (2015). Reply to “Comments on ‘error analysis of satellite precipitation products in mountainous basins’”. Journal of Hydrometeorology 16(3), 1445-1446.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., N.S. Bartsotas, E.N. Anagnostou, and G. Kallos (2015) Using high-resolution numerical weather forecasts to improve remotely sensed rainfall estimates: the case of the 2013 Colorado flash flood. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 16 (4), 1742–51.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., M. Borga, J.D. Creutin, and F. Marra (2015). Estimation of debris flow triggering rainfall: influence of rain gauge density and interpolation methods, Geomorphology, 243, 40-50.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., M. Borga, F. Marra, S. Crema, and L. Marchi (2015). Debris flows in the eastern Italian Alps: seasonality and atmospheric circulation patterns. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science 15 (3). Copernicus Publications: 647–56.
- Zoccatelli, D., M. Borga, G.B. Chirico and E.I. Nikolopoulos (2015). The relative role of hillslope and river network routing in the hydrologic response to spatially variable rainfall fields, Journal of Hydrology, 531(2), 349-359.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., S. Crema, L. Marchi, F. Marra, F. Guzzetti, and M. Borga (2014). Impact of uncertainty in rainfall estimation on the identification of rainfall thresholds for debris flow occurrence, Geomorphology, 221, 286–297.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., M. Borga, D. Zoccatelli, and E.N. Anagnostou (2014). Catchment-scale storm velocity: quantification, scale dependence and effect on flood response, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 59(7), 1363–1376.
- Marra, F., E.I. Nikolopoulos, J.D. Creutin, and M. Borga (2014). Radar rainfall estimation for the identification of debris-flow occurrence thresholds, Journal of Hydrology, 519, Part B(0), 1607–1619.
- *Mei, Y., E.N. Anagnostou, D. Stampoulis, E.I. Nikolopoulos, M. Borga, and H.J. Vegara (2014). Rainfall organization control on the flood response of mild-slope basins, Journal of Hydrology, 510, 565–577.
- *Mei, Y., E.N. Anagnostou, E.I. Nikolopoulos, and M. Borga (2014). Error analysis of satellite precipitation products in mountainous basins, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 15(5), 1778–1793.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., E.N. Anagnostou, and M. Borga (2013). Using high-resolution satellite rainfall products to simulate a major flash flood event in Northern Italy, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 14(1), 171–185.
- Stampoulis, D., E.N. Anagnostou, and E.I. Nikolopoulos (2013). Assessment of high-resolution satellite-based rainfall estimates over the Mediterranean during heavy precipitation events, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 14(5), 1500–1514.
- Zampieri, M., E. Serpetzoglou, E.N. Anagnostou, E.I. Nikolopoulos, and A. Papadopoulos (2012). Improving the representation of river–groundwater interactions in land surface modeling at the regional scale: Observational evidence and parameterization applied in the Community Land Model, Journal of Hydrology, 420, 72–86.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., E.N. Anagnostou, M. Borga, E.R. Vivoni, and A. Papadopoulos (2011). Sensitivity of a mountain basin flash flood to initial wetness condition and rainfall variability, Journal of Hydrology, 402(3-4), 165–178.
- Chronis, T., V. Papadopoulos, and E.I. Nikolopoulos (2011). QuickSCAT observations of extreme wind events over the Mediterranean and Black Seas during 2000–2008, International Journal of Climatology, 31(14), 2068–2077.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., E.N. Anagnostou, F. Hossain, M. Gebremichael, and M. Borga (2010). Understanding the scale relationships of uncertainty propagation of satellite rainfall through a distributed hydrologic model, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 11(2), 520–532.
- Anagnostou, E.N., V. Maggioni, E.I. Nikolopoulos, T. Meskele, F. Hossain, and A. Papadopoulos (2010). Benchmarking high-resolution global satellite rainfall products to radar and rain-gauge rainfall estimates, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 48(4), 1667–1683.
- Serpetzoglou, E., E.N. Anagnostou, A. Papadopoulos, E.I. Nikolopoulos, and V. Maggioni (2010). Error propagation of remote sensing rainfall estimates in soil moisture prediction from a land surface model, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 11(3), 705–720.
- Anagnostou, M.N., J.A. Nystuen, E.N. Anagnostou, E.I. Nikolopoulos, and E. Amitai (2008). Evaluation of underwater rainfall measurements during the Ionian sea rainfall experiment, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 46(10), 2936–2946.
- Nikolopoulos, E.I., A. Kruger, W.F. Krajewski, C.R. Williams, and K.S. Gage (2008). Comparative rainfall data analysis from two vertically pointing radars, an optical disdrometer, and a rain gauge, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 15(6), 987–997.
- Krajewski, W.F., A. Kruger, C. Caracciolo, P. Golé, L. Barthes, J.-D. Creutin, J.-Y. Delahaye, E.I. Nikolopoulos, F. Ogden, and J.-P. Vinson (2006). DEVEX-disdrometer evaluation experiment: Basic results and implications for hydrologic studies, Advances in Water Resources, 29(2), 311-325.
- Psillakis, E., A. Ntelekos, D. Mantzavinos, E. Nikolopoulos, and N. Kalogerakis (2003). Solid-phase microextraction to monitor the sonochemical degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in water, Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 5(1), 135-140.