Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering
Hamidreza Najafi is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Florida Institute of Technology. He conducts research and teaching courses in the areas of thermal sciences. His recent research works have been focused on inverse heat condcution problems, energy efficiency and renewable energy systems. His past experiences includes working as a lead engineer in Alabama Industrial Assessment Center (funded by U. S. Department of Energy), where he was focused on improving efficiency in industrial energy systems and conducted assessments for more than fifty manufacturing companies located in AL, GA and MS (2011-2015).
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, The University of Alabama, 2015
M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, The University of Alabama, 2012
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Khaje Nasir Toosi University of Technology, 2010
- Recognized as Outstanding Reviewer for International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (Oct 2018) and Applied Energy (Nov 2018)
- 2016-2017 ASME Student Chapter Top Young Professor Award
- Recognized as Outstanding Reviewer for Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering (by Elsevier), June 2015.
- Recognized for Exemplary Academic Record and Research in the Solar Energy by ASME Solar Energy Division, July 2013
- Recieved Industrial Assessment Center Award for Excellence in Applied Energy Engineering Research, Aug 2012.
- Recieved the Best Paper Award for Outstanding Paper from the ASME Solar Energy Division, Photovoltaic Committee, 6th ASME Energy Sustainability Conference, San Diego CA, July 2012
- Certified as U.S Department of Energy Qualified Specialist in Using SSAT (Steam Systems Assessment Tool, 2013), AirMaster (Compressed Air Systems Assessment tool, 2013), PHAST (Process Heat System Assessment Tool, 2012), FSAT (Fan System Assessment Tool, 2011) and PSAT (Pump System Assessment Tool, 2011). http://www.energy.gov/eere/amo/downloads/qualified-specialists-industrial-assessment-tools
MEE 5220 - Convection Heat Transfer
MEE 4177/5290 - Energy Conversion
MEE 5240 - Solar Energy Analysis
MEE 4071 - Thermal Systems Design
MEE 4171 - Principles of Heat Transfer
MEE 4175 - HVAC
MEE 4074 - Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, Aug 2015-Present
- Lead Engineer, Alabama Industrial Assessment Center, Jan 2011-Aug 2015
- Director of the Heat Transfer Lab.
- Faculty Advisor of ASHRAE's Branch in FIT
- Student Activities Chair-ASHRAE's Spacecoast Chapter (2015-Present)
Dr. Najafi’s current research interests include Inverse Heat Conduction Problems; Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Design/Optimization of Thermal Systems and Heat Transfer in Aerospace Applications.
Selected Journal Articles:
- D. Sykes and H. Najafi, Experimental and Computational Investigation of the Effects of Cavitation Regime on Spray Parameters of Stepped Plain Orifice Atomizers, Atomization and Sprays, 29(4):351–380 (2019).
- D. Rochelle, H. Najafi, A review of the effect of biodiesel on gas turbine emissions and performance, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 105, 2019, Pages 129-137.
- K.A. Woodbury, H. Najafi, J.V. Beck, Exact analytical solution for 2-D transient heat conduction in a rectangle with partial heating on one edge, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Volume 112, February 2017, Pages 252–262.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, James V. Beck, Real Time Solution for Inverse Heat Conduction Problems in a Two-Dimensional Plate with Multiple Heat Fluxes at the Surface, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 91 (2015), Pages 1148–1156.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, Online Heat Flux Estimation Using Artificial Neural Networks as a Digital Filter Approach, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 91 (2015) 808–817.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, Ned R. Keltner, Real-time heat flux measurement using directional flame thermometer, Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 86, 5 July 2015, Pages 229–237.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, "A filter based solution for inverse heat conduction problems in multi-layer mediums", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 83 (2015) 710–720.
- K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, H. Najafi, “Filter solution of inverse heat conduction problem using measured temperature history as remote boundary condition”, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 72, May 2014, P 139–147.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Optimization of a Cooling System Based on Peltier Effect for Photovoltaic Cells”, Solar Energy, Volume 91, May 2013, Pages 152–160. Solar Energy, Volume 91, May 2013, Pages 152–160.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Modeling and Analysis of Combined Photovoltaic- Thermoelectric Power Generation System”, ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 135(3), 031013.
- H. Najafi, B. Najafi and P. Hoseinpoori, “Energy and Cost Optimization of a plate and Fin Heat Exchanger Using Genetic Algorithm”, Applied Thermal Eng., Vol. 31, Issue 10, July 2011, P. 1839-1847.
- B. Najafi, H. Najafi, M. D.Idalik, “A CFD Investigation and Multi-Objective Optimization of an Engine Air Cooling System using Genetic Algorithm”, Journal Mechanical Engineering Science, vol.225 no.6, June 2011, P 1389-1398.
- H. Najafi, B. Najafi, “Multi-Objective Optimization of a Plate and Frame Heat Exchanger via Genetic Algorithm”, Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Springer, Vol. 46, No. 6, 639-647, May 2010.
Selected Recent Conference Papers:
-A. Pant, S. Dhole and H. Najafi, Peltier Cooling for Low Concentration Photovoltaic Cells: Numerical Modeling and Feasibility Study, ASME IMECE 2019, Paper No. 11656, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, Nov 2019.
- M. Seyednezhad and H. Najafi, Energy and Economic Analysis of a Novel Hybrid Photovoltaic-Thermoelectric System for Building Cooling Applications, ASME IMECE 2019, Paper No. 11644, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, Nov 2019.
- O. Uyanna, H. Najafi, A Near Real-Time Solution Approach for Surface Heat Flux Estimation in One Dimensional Inverse Heat Conduction Problems with Moving Boundary, ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Paper No. HT2019-3458, Bellevue, WA, July 2019.
- G. Doiphode and H. Najafi, An Energetic and Exergoeconomic Analysis of a CCHP System with Micro Gas Turbine, Organic Rankine Cycle and Ammonia-Water Absorption Refrigeration Cycle, ASME 13th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, Paper No. ES2019- 3928, Bellevue, WA, July 2019.
- O. Betharte, H. Najafi, T. Nguyen, Towards Net-Zero Energy Buildings: A Case Study in Humid Subtropical Climate, ASME 2018 International Mechanical Eng. Congress and Expo., Paper No. IMECE 2018-88518, pp. V06AT08A054.
- O. Uyanna, H. Najafi, A Numerical Analysis on Cavitation Effects in Microchannels, Proc. ASME IMECE 2017, Tampa, FL, Nov 2017.
- D. Sangal, H. Najafi, Investigation of Thermal and Energy Performance of Green Roofs in Florida Climate, Proc. ASME IMECE 2017, Tampa, FL, Nov 2017.
- A. Bhargava, H. Najafi, Photovoltaic-Thermoelectric Systems for Building Cooling Applications: A Preliminary Study, Proc. ASME. 50596; Volume 6B: Energy, V06BT08A011, IMECE2016-67507.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, Real time solution for inverse heat conduction problems in a two-dimensional plate with multiple heat fluxes at the surface, First Thermal and Fluids Engineering Summer Conference, New York, NY, Aug 2015.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, Real Time solution for Inverse Heat Conduction Problems in a Two-Dimensional Medium, Inverse Problems Symposium, East Lansing Michigan, May 2015.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, Application of Artificial Neural Network as Digital Filter for Online Heat Flux Estimation", Proceedings of ASME Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2014, Montreal, Canada, Nov 2014.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, " Developing An Inverse Heat Conduction Analysis Tool For Real Time Heat Flux Estimation In Directional Flame Thermometer Application", Proc. of ASME Energy Sustainability Conference, Boston, MA, July 2014.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, James V. Beck, Ned R. Keltner, “Real Time Measurement of Heat Flux by Directional Flame Thermometers Using Filter Form IHCP Method ”, Proceedings of ASME 2013 International Mechanical Eng. Congress San Diego, CA, Nov 2013.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Feasibility Study of Using Thermoelectric Cooling Modules for Active Cooling of Photovoltaic Panels”, Proc. of ASME 2012 Intl Mechanical Eng. Congress, IMECE2012, Houston, TX, Nov 2012.
- Hamidreza Najafi, Keith A. Woodbury, “Modeling and Analysis of Combined Photovoltaic- Thermoelectric Power Generation System”, Proceedings of ASME 2012 Energy Sustainability Conference, San Diego, USA, July 2012. (Received The Best Paper Award for The Outstanding Paper from The ASME Solar Energy Division)
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Performance Analysis of Photovoltaic Panels in Alabama Area Using Tracking, Concentration and Cooling”, Proc. of ASME 2012 Energy Sustainability Conference, San Diego, USA, July 2012.
- H. Najafi, B. Najafi, “Sensitivity Analysis of a Hybrid Photovoltaic Thermal Solar Collector”, Proceedings of IEEE Electrical Power and Energy Conference EPEC 2011, DOI: 10.1109/EPEC.2011.6070254.
- P. Hoseinpoori, H. Najafi and B. Najafi ” Optimal Design of a Gas Turbine-Solid Oxide Fuel cell Hybrid Plant” IEEE Electrical Power and Energy Conference EPEC 2011, DOI: 10.1109/EPEC.2011.6070215.
- H. Najafi & B. Najafi, “Multi-Objective optimization of a fire-tube heat recovery steam generator System”, IEEE 7th annual Electrical Power and Energy conference, EPEC 2009, DOI: 10.1109/EPEC.2009.5420902.