B.S. Applied Mathematics, North Carolina State University
B.S. Chemical Engineering, North Carolina State University
Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Florida
Recognition & Awards
- 2012 University of Florida Outstanding Young Aluminus Award
- 2010 ENI Award in Energy (Associated Nominee)
- 2009 NanoFlorida Conference Lecturer Award
- 2008 UF STTP Award (Mentorship)
CHE 5101/5103 - Transport Phenomena 1: Continuum-based modeling of momentum, energy and matter transport phenomenon. Shell balance derivations, scaling analysis, similiarity and integral transform methods, asymptotic perturbation analysis and variational theory of isentropic systems.
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- The Electrochemical Society
- The American Chemical Society
- Materials Science & Engineering Technology Leader & Engineering Manager, Mainstream Engineering Corporation, Rockledge, Fl
- Chemical Engineering Advisory Board
Research at Mainstream Engineering Corporation
- Self-assembled synthesis of next-generation thermoelectric materials
- Scalable fabrication of dense carbon nanotubes for electrochemical double layer capacitor electrodes
- Self-assembled nanomaterials for compressive and adsorptive gas storage
- Electrochemical hydrogen compression
- Materials processing with high energy linear electron accelerators
- High surface area scaffolding for thermal energy storage
- Hierarchically structured nanocomposites
- Modeling of photoelectrochemical energy conversion in highly anisotropic domains (in collaboration with Prof. Kirk Ziegler at the University of Florida).
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications:
- Arnold, D. C.; Hobbs, R. G.; Zirngast, M.; Marschner, C.; Hill, J. J.; Ziegler, K. J.; Morris, M. A.; Holmes, J. D., Single step synthesis of Ge–SiOx core-shell heterostructured nanowires. J. Mater. Chem. 2009, 19, 954-961.
- Hill, J. J.; Cotton, S. P.; Ziegler, K. J., Alignment and Morphology Control of Ordered Mesoporous Silicas in Anodic Aluminum Oxide Channels by Electrophoretic Deposition. Chem. Mater. 2009, 21 (9), 1841-1846.
- Hill, J. J.; Haller, K.; Gelfand, B.; Ziegler, K. J., Eliminating Capillary Coalescence of Nanowire Arrays with Applied Electric Fields. ACS Appl. Mat. Int. 2010, 2 (7), 1992-1998.
- Hill, J. J.; Haller, K.; Ziegler, K. J., Direct Fabrication of High-Aspect Ratio Anodic Aluminum Oxide with Continuous Pores on Conductive Glass. J. Electrochem. Soc. 2010, 158 (1), E1-E7.
- Hill, J. J.; Banks, N.; Haller, K.; Orazem, M. E.; Ziegler, K. J., An Interfacial and Bulk Charge Transport Model for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Based on Photoanodes Consisting of Core-Shell Nanowire Arrays. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, (Web), DOI: 10.1021/ja2044216.
- Hill, J. J.; Haller, K.; Banks, N.; Orazem, M. E.; Ziegler, K. J., Optimizing the Performance of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells based on Densely Arrayed and High Aspect Ratio Nanostructures. 2012, In Progress.
- Hill, J. J.; Haller, K.; Ziegler, K. J., Conductive Nanowires Coated with a Semiconductive Shell as the Photoanode in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. Int. J. Nano. Bio. Mat. 2012, Submitted.
Technically Reviewed Scientific Reports:
- Hill, J. J., High Performance Nanoscale Thermoelectric Generators for UAVs, Final Report CLIN 0003. NAVAIR: Pautuxent River, Md, 2011; pp 1-67.
- Lasko, T.; Hill, J. J., Advanced Materials Processing with Free Energy Laser Electron Beam Linear Accelerator Injectors. Office of Naval Research, U.S. Navy: Arlington, Va, 2011; pp 1-54.
- Schwartz, N.; Hill, J. J., High Density Hydrogen Storage through Compression and Adsorption in Self-Assembled Nanomaterials. United States Air Force: Edwards AFB, Ca, 2012; pp 1-74.
- Zastrow, D.; Ziegler, K. J.; Hill, J. J., Meter-Scale Self-Assembly of Dense & Oriented Nanomaterials for Double Layer Capacitors. Office of Naval Research, Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD): Arlington, Va, 2012; pp 1-56.
- Crosser, L. H.; Hill, J. J. High Performance Nanoscale Thermoelectric Generators for UAVs, Phase I Option Final Report CLIN 0003; NAVAIR: Patuxent River, Ma, April 2012; pp 1-37.
- N. Schwartz, D. Zastrow, K.R. Coffey, K.J. Ziegler, T.J. Amundsen, J.J. Hill Novel Applications of Anodic Aluminum Oxide Nanopore Arrays. AICHE. 2011.
- J.J. Hill, K. Haller, N. Banks, K. J. Ziegler. Templated Growth and Electrostatic Manipulation of Arrayed Nanostructures. AICHE. 2010.
- J.J. Hill, K. Haller, N. Banks, K. J. Ziegler. Photoelectrochemical Energy Conversion in Nanowire-based Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells: Modeling, Optimization & Templated Fabrication. AICHE. 2010.
- J.J. Hill, K. Haller, N. Banks, K. J. Ziegler. Dye Sensitized Solar Cells with Core/Shell Nanowire Array Based Photoanodes: Modeling, Fabrication & Performance. NanoFlorida. 2009.
- J.J. Hill, K. Haller, K. J. Ziegler. Poster: Template Based Fabrication of Core/Shell Nanowire Arrays Directly on Transparent Conductive Oxides. NanoFlorida. 2009.
- J. J. Hill, K. Haller, N. Banks, K. J. Ziegler. Modeling and Fabrication of Dye Sensitized Solar Cells with Nanowire Array Based Photoanodes. Electrochemical Society National Meeting. 2009.
- J. J. Hill, K. J. Ziegler, Ordered Mesoporous Silica as Templates for Heterostructure Growth. American Institute of Chemical Engineers National Meeting. 2008.
- J. J. Hill, R. Wang, K. J. Ziegler, Poster: Interaction Energy Modeling & Separation of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes. American Chemical Society National Meeting. 2007.
- J. J. Hill Nanostructured Thermoelectric Elements, Other Ultra-High Aspect Ratio Structures and Hierarchical Template Methods for Growth thereof. 2011. 62277US; Application No. 12/731,295
- J. J. Hill and K.J. Ziegler. Inhibition of Nanostructure Aggregation through Applied Electric Fields. 2010. 61/319,025.