Ph.D. in Physics -- University of Wisconsin-Madison and CERN, 1987.
B.S. and M.S. degrees in Physics -- University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Founding Director of CRAFT Center https://research.fit.edu/craft/ (2023)
Associate Provost and VP for Academic Administration, Florida Tech (2020)
Professor, Department of Aerospace, Physics and Space Sciences, Florida Tech (2005–present)
Associate professor, Department of Physics and Space Sciences, Florida Tech (2000–2004)
Assistant and visiting professor, Department of Physics, SUNY–Stony Brook (1991–1999)
Research scientist, Department of Physics, UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif. (1987–1990)
Postdoctoral research associate, Department of Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1987)
NSF Principal Investigator for the HPC Cluster with GPU accelerators at Florida Tech, 2020.
CMS Top-quark Analysis Review Committee member and Language Editor, 2011-present.
Authorship Committee for CMS journal publications, 2011-present.
Chair of Faculty Excellence Awards Committee, Florida Tech Faculty Senate, 2014-2019.
Florida Tech Faculty Senate President Elect, 2016; President 2017.
Florida Tech Faculty Senate President Elect, 2011; President 2012.
Florida Tech Graduate Council voting member, 2011-2013.
Florida Tech Committee on Faculty Promotion, 2011-2013.
Chair of PSS Graduate Research and Academic Steering Panel, 2010-2013.
DOE Principal Investigator for the CMS projects at Florida Tech, 2003-2013.
Florida Tech Project Director for the CMS Experiment at CERN, 2001-2015.
Florida Tech Representative to the CMS Collaboration Board, 2001-2015.
Election Committee for the US CMS Collaboration, 2005-2008.
Representative of the non-member-state countries to the CMS Management Board, 2003-2006.
Member of Editorial Board for journal publications of CMS, 2002-2006.
Florida Tech Advisory Board, Center for Distance Learning, 2003-2005.
Florida Tech Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, Dept. of Physics, 2002-2005.
DOE Co-Principal Investigator for DØ and CMS at SUNY-Stony Brook, 1992-1998.
Editorial Board chairperson,bb physics, DØ Experiment at Fermilab, 1995-1999.
Editorial Board, dijet angular distribution results, DØ Experiment at Fermilab, 1996-1998.
Project Director/Team leader, SUNY-Stony Brook, CMS Experiment at CERN, 1994-1998.
Team leader, US Team, RD5 Experiment at CERN, 1992-1994.
Over 1200 articles in refereed journals (Phy. Rev. Lett., Phy. Lett., J. High Energy Phys., Phys. Rev. and other journals with the UA1, DØ, L3 and CMS Collaborations) and over 50 invited talks in major international conferences. Please see https://inspirehep.net for a complete list.
Major particle physics discovery publications:
- Discovery of Higgs boson: "Observation of a new boson at a mass of 125 GeV with the CMS experiment at the LHC", Chatrchyan et al., Phys. Lett. B 716, 30-61 (2012). *
- Discovery of top quark: "Observation of the Top Quark", S. Abachi et al., Rev. Lett. 74, 2632 (1995).
- Discovery of Z0boson: "Experimental Observation of Lepton Pairs of Invariant Mass Around 95 GeV/c2 at the CERN SPS Collider", G. Arnison et al., Lett. B 126, 398 (1983). **
* 2013 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to François Englert and Peter W. Higgs for the theoretical discovery of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN's Large Hadron Collider.
** 1984 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to Carlo Rubbia and Simon van der Meer for the discovery of the field particles W and Z, communicators of weak interaction.
Five recent top-quark physics publications with CMS Collaboration:
- "Measurement of the top quark mass using a profile likelihood approach with the lepton+jets final states in proton-proton collisions at √s= 13 TeV", A. Tumasyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), arXiv:2302.01967, submitted to the European Physical Journal C, February 2023.
- "Search for charged-lepton flavor violation in top quark production and decay in pp collisions at √s= 13 TeV", A. Tumasyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 2206 (2022) 082.
- "Measurement of the inclusive and differential tt¯γ cross sections in the dilepton channel and effective field theory interpretation in proton-proton collisions at √s= 13 TeV", A. Tumasyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 2205 (2022) 091.
- "Search for single production of a vector-like T quark decaying to a top quark and a Z boson in the final state with jets and missing transverse momentum at √s= 13 TeV", A. Tumasyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 2205 (2022) 093.
- "Search for flavor-changing neutral current interactions of the top quark and the Higgs boson decaying to a bottom quark-antiquark pair at √s= 13 TeV", A. Tumasyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 02 (2022) 169.
Recognition & Awards
Florida Tech President's Award for Meritorious Service, 2013.
Florida Tech President's Award for Meritorious Service, 2012.
Florida Tech Faculty Excellence Award in Research, 2009.
Florida Tech President's Award for Meritorious Service, 2009.
Measurement of quantum entanglement in pair-production of top quarks in proton-proton collisions at LHC using data collected by the CMS experiment.
Precision measurement of the top-quark mass in proton-proton collisions at LHC using data collected by the CMS experiment.
Development of Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning techniques for particle physics and high-performance computing for HEP.
Study of top quark spin by analyzing spin correlations in top quark pair production at LHC.
Study of hadroproduction of bottom quark pairs at LHC: Test of perturbative QCD.
Search for a low mass charged Higgs boson in top quark decays at LHC.