Emeritus Faculty | School of Behavior Analysis
Thank you for viewing my profile. My mission is to train behavior analysis practitioners and the next generation of behavior analysis faculty and scientists. I want the world to adopt behavior analysis as the best way to solve human problems that involve behavior (and most human problems involve behavior). As behavior analysts we can help persons and organizations achieve meaningful outcomes in their daily lives, in school, and in busineness and industry.
Jose Martinez-Diaz, Ph.D., BCBA-D is associate dean and a full professor at the Florida Institute of Technology’s College of Psychology and Liberal Arts. Dr. Martinez-Diaz is Head of Florida Tech’s School of Behavior Analysis, which he founded. Jose is CEO of ABA Technologies, Inc., a company specializing in instructional design and technology. He is an adjunct professor at Penn State's Department of Special Education. Jose is a Senior Consultant for the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB), the BACB liaison to the Association of Professional Behavior Analysts (APBA), and a member of APBA’s Board of Directors. He serves as a member Florida’s Behavior Analysis Peer Review Committee and Florida’s Behavior Analysis Certification Committee.
Professor Martinez-Diaz was an officer and board member of the BACB for seven years. Jose is a past president of the Florida Association of Behavior Analysis and received its Charles H. Cox Award for Outstanding Service and Advancement of Behavior Analysis in Florida in 2005. After working as a practitioner for many years, Jose held several administrative positions before joining Florida Tech in 1998.
M.A. West Virginia University 1977
Ph.D. West Virginia University 1984
Psychology Intern and Research Associate, UCLA-NPI Clinical Research Unit at Camari;o State Hospital, 1978-1979
Staff Psychologist and Behavior Analyst, Camarillo State Hospital and Developmental Center, 1979-1987
Center Director, Devereux Center for Behavioral. Emotiional and Learning Disorders, 1988-1991
Program Director, New Medico TBI Rehabilitation Center, 1991-1992
District Behavior Analyst and Senior Psychologist, Florida Department of Children and Families, 1992-1996
Executive Director, Threshold, Inc., 1996-1997
C.E.O., ABA Technologies, Inc., 1997-present
Program Chair, ABA Program, Florida Tech, 1998-2011
Assistant to the Executive Vice President, Florida Tech, 2012-2013
Associate Dean and Head, Florida Tech's School of Behavior Analysis, 2013-present
Program Director, Florida Tech's ABA Online Program
Member, Board of Directors, Association of Professional Behavior Analysts
Senior Consultant, Behavior Analyst Certification Board
Member, Florida Behavior Analysis Peer Review Committee
Member, Florida Behavior Analysis Certification Committee
Chief Executive Officer, ABA Technologies, Inc.
Managing Partner, ABA Properties and Investments, LLC
Foundations, Concepts and Principles of Behavior Analysis
Basic Elements of Applied Behavior Analysis
Developing, Strengthening and Maintaining Behavior
Decreasing, Eliminating and Replacing Problem Behavior
Introduction to Ethical & Professional Conduct of Behavior Analysts
Ethical & Professional Conduct of Behavior Analysts
- Martinez-Diaz, J.A., Freeman, T.R., Normand, M., & Heron, T.E. (2007). Ethical considerations for behavior analysts. Invited Chapter in J.O. Cooper, T.E. Heron, and W.L. Heward, Applied Behavior Analysis, Second Edition. Merrill/Prentice Hall.
- Martinez-Diaz (2007) Verbally-governed and event-governed ethical behavior. Invited Address to be presented at the International Society for Behaviorology, 19th Annual Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Martinez-Diaz (2007) Motivating operations, discriminative stimuli, and escape/avoidance behavior: Is discriminated avoidance a good term? Invited Address to be presented at the California Association for Behavior Analysis Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Martinez-Diaz (2006) Ethics for behavior analysts. Invited Address presented at the Tennessee Association for Behavior Analysis Annual Conference, Nashville, TN.
- Martinez-Diaz (2006) Motivating operations and treating challenging behavior without coercion. Invited Address presented at the Tennessee Association for Behavior Analysis Annual Conference, Nashville, TN.
- Martinez-Diaz (2006) Current research and practice in the treatment of persons with autism. Invited Address presented at the Progress through Partnership: Pennsylvania's Annual National Autism Conference, State College, PA
- Martinez-Diaz (2006) ABA services in schools: ethical considerations. Invited Address presented at the Progress through Partnership: Pennsylvania's Annual National Autism Conference, State College, PA
- Martinez-Diaz, J.A. (2007), discussant. What does an educational system require to be successful? Symposium to be chaired by E.A. Vargas. Association for Behavior Analysis, San Diego, CA.
- Martinez-Diaz, J.A., Vollmer, T.R., Johnston, J.M., Shook, G.L., Hartsfield, F. (2005). Behavior analyst task list: knowledge skills and Abilities Statements, Third Edition, Tallahassee, FL: BACB.
Recognition & Awards
Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Doctoral (BACB-D)
Charles H. Cox Award for Outstanding Service and Advancement of Behavior Analysis in Florida (2005)
Provost's Academic Leadership Award (2005)
Behavior analytic approaches to online graduate-level instruction
Performance management and systems analysis in academic and professional training programs