Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering
My research interests encompass a broad range of topics in modeling and simulation of advanced propulsion, power, and related systems. My current research is interdisciplinary, with focus on physics-based modeling, statistical calibration, data-inspired design and the theory and analysis of complex fluid flows where turbulence, combustion, high-pressure phenomena, and multiphase flows play a controlling role.
B.S., University of Science and Technology of China, 2010
M.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2013
Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2016
Recognition & Awards
Best paper award in ILASS Asia, 2020
Statistics in Physical Engineering Sciences (SPES) Award, 2019
Article Featured as Front Cover of Physics of Fluids Journal, 2019
Best presentation paper in ILASS Americas, 2018 (Co-authored)
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology (2019-present)
Research Engineer II, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2018-2019)
Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2016-2018)
MEE 3191 Engineering Thermodynamics I & II
AE 2010 Thermodynamics and Fluid Fundamentals (Georgia Tech)
CFD and Machine learning in thermal-fluid sciences
Implementation of deep neural network to accelerate simulation of supercritical fluid flows and combustion (collaboration with Georgia Tech)
Surrogated-based modeling for physics extraction and design of engineering systems
Effects of injector entry shapes on evolution and transition mechanisms of swirling flows
The Combustion Institute
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ILASS)
American Physical Society (APS)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Y.-H. Chang, Y. Li, X. Wang, and V. Yang, “Common kernel-smoothed proper orthogonal decomposition (CKSPOD): An advanced surrogate model for emulation of spatiotemporally evolving flow dynamics,”, submitted to Journal of Computational Physics.
- Milan, J.-P. Hickey, X. Wang, and V. Yang, “Deep learning-accelerated multiscale simulation of supercritical fluid flows,” submitted to Journal of Computational Physics
- Unnikrishnan, H. Huo, X. Wang, and V. Yang, “Subgrid scale modeling considerations for large eddy simulation of supercritical turbulent mixing: an a priori study,” submitted to Physics of Fluids
- . Wang*, Y.H. Chang, Y. Li, V. Yang*, and Y.H. Su, “Surrogate-based modeling for emulation of supercritical injector flow and combustion,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, accepted, 2020.
- X. Wang*, P. Lafon, D. Sundaram, and V. Yang*, “Liquid vaporization under thermodynamic phase non-equilibrium condition at the gas-liquid interface,” Science China Technologica Sciences, 2020, accepted
- S. Yang, X. Wang, W. Sun, and V. Yang, “Comparison of Finite Rate Chemistry and Flamelet/Progress-Variable Models: Sandia Flames and the Effect of Transport Modeling,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 192, No. 7 (2020), pp. 1137-1159.
- S. Yang, X. Wang, V. Yang, W. Sun, and H. Huo, "An efficient finite-rate chemistry model for a preconditioned compressible flow solver and its comparison with the flamelet/progress-variable model," Combustion and Flame, Vol. 210 (2019), 172-182.
- Y.H. Chang, L.W. Zhang, X. Wang, S.-T. Yeh, S. Mak, C.-L. Sung, C.F. Wu, and V. Yang "Kernel-smoothed proper orthogonal decomposition (KSPOD)-based emulation for spatiotemporally evolving flow dynamics prediction," AIAA Journal, Vol. 57, No. 12 (2019), pp. 5269-5280.
- X. Wang, Y. Wang, and V. Yang, " Three-dimensional flow dynamics and mixing in a gas-centered liquid-swirl coaxial injector at supercritical pressure," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 31 (2019), 065109. (Selected as FRONT COVER in June issue)
- Y. Wang, X. Chen, X. Wang, and V. Yang, "Vaporization of liquid droplet with large deformation and high mass transfer rate, II: Variable-density, variable-property case," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 394 (2019), pp. 1-17.
- L. Zhang, X. Wang, Y. Li, S.-T. Yeh, and V. Yang, "Supercritical fluid dynamics and mixing in gas-centered liquid-Swirl coaxial injectors," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 30 (2018) 075106. (Editor's Pick)
- X. Wang, L. Zhang, Y. Li, S.-T. Yeh, and V. Yang, "Supercritical combustion of gas-centered liquid-swirl coaxial injectors for staged combustion engines," Combustion and Flame, Vol. 197 (2018), pp. 204-214.
- X. Wang, S.-T. Yeh, Y.-H. Chang, and V. Yang, "A high-fidelity design methodology using LES-based simulation and POD-based emulation: a case study of swirl injectors," Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, Vol. 31 No. 9 (2018), pp. 1855-1869.
- X. Wang, H. Huo, U. Unnikrishnan, and V. Yang, " A systematic approach to high-fidelity modeling and efficient simulation of supercritical fluid mixing and combustion," Combustion and Flame, Vol. 195, (2018), pp. 203-215.
- X. Wang, Y. Li, Y. Wang, and V. Yang, "Near-Field Flame Dynamics of Liquid Oxygen/Kerosene Bi-Swirl Injections at Supercritical Conditions," Combustion and Flame, Vol. 190 (2018), pp. 1-11
- S.-T. Yeh, X. Wang* , C.-L. Sung, S. Mak, Y.-H. Chang, V. R. Joseph, V. Yang, and C.F. Wu,"Common Proper Orthogonal Decomposition-Based Spatiotemporal Emulator for Design Exploration," AIAA Journal, Vol. 56, No. 6 (2018), pp. 2429-2442.
- Y. Wang, X. Wang, and V. Yang, "Evolution and transition mechanisms of internal swirling flows with tangential entry," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 30, No. 1, (2018), pp. 013601. (Editor's Pick)
- S. Mak, C.-L. Sung, X. Wang, S.-T. Yeh, Y.-H. Chang, V.R. Joseph, V. Yang, and C.F.J. Wu, "An efficient surrogate model for emulation and physics extraction of large eddy simulations," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 113 (2018), pp. 1443-1456. (Statistics in Physical Engineering Sciences (SPES) Award)
- X. Wang, Y. Wang, and V. Yang, "Geometric Effects on Liquid Oxygen/Kerosene Bi-Swirl Injector Flow Dynamics at Supercritical Conditions," AIAA Journal, Vol. 55, No. 10 (2017), pp. 3467-3475
- X. Wang, H. Huo, Y. Wang, and V. Yang, "Comprehensive Study of Cryogenic Fluid Dynamics of Swirl Injectors at Supercritical Conditions," AIAA Journal, Vol. 55, No. 9 (2017), pp. 3109-3119
- X. Wang and V. Yang, "Supercritical Mixing and Combustion of Liquid-Oxygen/Kerosene Bi-Swirl Injectors," Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 33, No. 2 (2017), pp. 316-322
- X. Wang, H. Huo, and V. Yang, "Counterflow Diffusion Flames of Oxygen and N-Alkane Hydrocarbons (CH4-C16H34) at Subcritical and Supercritical Conditions," Combustion Science and Technology Vol. 187, No. 1-2, (2014), pp. 60-82
- H. Huo, X. Wang, and V. Yang, "A general study of counterflow diffusion flames at subcritical and supercritical conditions: Oxygen/hydrogen mixtures," Combustion and Flame, Vol. 161, No. 12, (2014), pp. 3040-3050