Marion Clayton Link Library Information Network (LINK) Endowment


Type

General Endowment

Value

$645,679 (2021)

Year Established

1997

Purpose

Support the Evans Library. (GF000158)

Description

Funds will be used at the discretion of the Dean of the Evans Library: to provide necessary resources to maintain the LINK; to compensate technically gifted students to provide services that support the LINK electronic presence; and generally to strengthen the LINK.


History

Marion Clayton Link was born on November 15th, 1907 in Ilion, New York. She graduated from Syracuse University with a bachelor’s degree in journalism in 1929. After graduation, she started her professional career at the Utica Observer Dispatch and then worked at the Syracuse Journal American and was employed by the Binghamton Press where she worked as a reporter. Mrs. Link was a member of several societies throughout her life including the Society of Women Geographers, Theta Sigma Phi, Pi Beta Phi, Amaryllis Circle of the Garden Club of Indian River County and Riomar Bay Yacht Club, President’s Club of Indian River Community College Foundation, and Community Church United Church of Christ. 

Additionally, Mrs. Link served in different civic organizations such as the Executive Board of Roberson Museum and Science Center, she was Chairman of Planned Parenthood of Broome County and honorary life member of the Advisory council of Binghamton and Harpur Forum, served as Trustee of the YWCA and of Syracuse University. For her commitment and passion, she received the Arents Medal from Syracuse University and the Binghamton Chamber of Commerce History Hunters Award.

Mrs. Link was married to Edwin A. Link, inventor of the first successful flight stimulator and designer of Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution’s Johnson-Sea-Link class submersibles. She worked with him and narrated their lives and discoveries in books and articles.

Mrs. Link passed away on March 30th, 1995, leaving tremendous contributions to different institutions including Florida Institute of Technology.