Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM Request
Please email the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line "OPT STEM Extension Application Documents"
Your request cannot be processed until all documents and this form are submitted. Once all documents are submitted, please allow 3-5 business days for the ISSS office to process your request.
- Copy of current OPT/EAD Card
- Copy of completed Form I-765
- Copy of completed Form I-983 (page 5 does not need to be completed at this time)
Statement of Understanding
- I have thoroughly read and understood the 24-month OPT Extension for STEM degree holders information provided.
- I have not previously received more than one (17 or 24-month) OPT extension after earning a STEM degree.
- I have maintained valid F-1 status since I began my study at Florida Institute of Technology.
- I understand that I must report to ISSS (using the OPT Reporting Form) any change to the following within 10 days:
- legal name
- residential or mailing address
- employer name
- employer address
- loss of employment
- I understand that I am required to make a validation report to ISSS every six months starting from the date the extension begins and ending when my F-1 status ends; I change educational levels within Florida Tech; I wish to transfer to another school; or the 24-month OPT extension ends, whichever is first. I understand that the validation is a confirmation that my name and address, employer name and address and/or loss of employment are current and accurate. This six-month validation report is due to the ISSS within 10 business days of each reporting date. Such validation reporting should be made using the OPT Reporting Form.
- I understand that if there are any material changes to or deviations from the training opportunity described on Form I-983, my employer and I must submit a modified I-983 training plan to . Examples of material changes include, but are not limited to:
- I understand that I am required to submit 12-month and 24-month evaluations using form I-983. The evaluations should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I understand that accruing an aggregate of more than 150 days of unemployment during the total of 36-month OPT period will result in a violation of the requirements for remaining in valid F-1 status.
To be completed by STEM degree holder who is currently on a 12-month period of OPT.