Respirator Fit Testing
This standard applies to the use of respiratory protection to control occupational diseases caused by breathing air contaminated with harmful dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors. The primary objective is to prevent or reduce atmospheric contaminants in the workplace by utilizing acceptable engineering control measures. However, when engineering controls are not feasible or effective, appropriate respirators will be provided by the employer to protect the health of the employee.
29 CFR 1910.134
Keys to Compliance
- Evaluate the workplace to identify respiratory hazards including a reasonable estimate of employee exposure and determine the best control measures.
- Develop and implement a written respiratory protection program including work-site specific procedures and update the program as necessary to reflect changes in the workplace that affect respirator usage.
- Select and provide the appropriate respirator for the hazards present.
- Appoint a suitably trained program administrator to oversee the respiratory program.
- Provide appropriate employee training.
- Ensure all employees are medically approved for respirator use.
- Fit test all employees using tight-fitting face-piece respirators prior to use and annually thereafter.
- Refer to specific requirements for voluntary or non-required employee use of respirators detailed in the standard and IU policy.
- Conduct evaluations of the workplace to ensure the provisions of the written program are effective, including consultations with affected employees. Regularly evaluate effectiveness of the respiratory protection program.
- Complete record-keeping requirements.
If you are required to use a respirator please follow the steps outlined below.
- WORKER and SUPERVISOR to complete a written request and submit it to Environmental Health and Safety(EH&S) Office for review via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WORKER to complete: Health Screening Questionnaire and submit to Holzer Student Health Center.
- The Health Care Professional to contact Worker if a review of Medical questionnaire is required and/or to schedule a pulmonary function test if required.
- The Health Care Professional will send the: Approval for Respirator Use to the EH&S (via email@example.com) upon review and completion.
- WORKER to register and complete the Respiratory Protection Online Course
- Worker to email firstname.lastname@example.org after watching the online course and request a Fit Test.
- EH&S to contact Worker to schedule a fit test.