Because of staffing shortages from the pandemic, THE WRITERS' DEN WILL BE CLOSED FALL 2020 SEMESTER. We hope to have our staffing shortages fixed for spring.
The Writers' Den is a space for students to:
- brainstorm topics
- focus ideas
- revise papers
- peer edit
- polish prose
- overcome obstacles
- share success
Resources for Writing
Purdue Online Writing Lab
The award winning Purdue Writing Lab has resources for writing, research, grammar, mechanics, style guides, ESL, job search, and professional writing activities. Search their databases for guidelines, review, and practice materials.
- The FIT Library Research Guides
- Purdue Online Writing Lab MLA Format
- Integrating Sources into Research Papers
- Understanding MLA Style 8th Edition
- Template for Creating MLA 8th Edition Works Cited
- English Grammar 101
For the individual seeking essential grammar instruction, site offers free online review and practice materials.
- Grammar Girl: Quick and Dirty Tricks
Mignon Fogarty gives quick lessons in grammar issues with humorous commentary.
- Sentence Diagramming
To view the intricacies of how sentences work, sentence diagramming shows graphical relationships.
Useful Writing Guides
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk & E. B. White
This is the classic style manual for strong English writing.
- They Say, I Say by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein
These sites provide templates for integrating resources, quotations, and other source information into an academic paper with appropriate signal words. Graff explains the academic conventions for integrating sources into research projects.