Pahinkar, Darshan G.
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering
My research involves development of efficient and heat driven energy systems that use insignificant amount of electricity to help mitigate the effects of climate change. This involves fundamental phenomena-based analyses of integral transport processes and system level performance assessment, followed by their proof-of-concept experimental validation.
B.E., Government College of Engineering Pune, India, 2006
M.E., Indian Institute of Science Bangalore, India, 2009
Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, 2016
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology (2020-present)
Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (2017-2019)
Manager (Development), TATA Motors Engineering Research Center, Pune, India (2009-2011)
MEE 4171 Heat Transfer, Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021
MEE 5230 Radiation Heat Transfer, Spring 2021
ME 3345 Heat Transfer, Spring 2018 (Georgia Tech)
Thermally Driven Scalable Heat Pumps
Simultaneous Interaction of Gases and Liquids with Adsorbents
Advanced Materials and Techniques for Electronics Thermal Management
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineering (ASHRAE)
Low Temperature Direct Bonding of Aluminum Nitride to AlSiC Substrates, Georgia Tech Research Corporation, 2017, Application No. 62/549,123 https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200262000A1/en
Selected Journal Publications
- Basnet, P., D. G. Pahinkar, M. P. West, C. J. Perini, S. Graham and E. M. Vogel (2020). "Substrate dependent resistive switching in amorphous-HfO x memristors: An experimental and computational investigation." Journal of Materials Chemistry C 8(15): 5092-5101 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/C9TC06736A.
- Pahinkar, D. G., P. Basnet, M. P. West, B. Zivasatienraj, A. Weidenbach, W. A. Doolittle, E. Vogel and S. Graham (2020). "Experimental and computational analysis of thermal environment in the operation of HfO2 memristors." AIP Advances 10(3): 035127 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5141347.
- Pahinkar, D. G., D. B. Boman and S. Garimella (2020). "High Performance Microchannel Adsorption Heat Pumps." International Journal of Refrigeration DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2020.07.020.
- West, M. P., P. Basnet, D. G. Pahinkar, R. H. Montgomery, S. Graham and E. M. Vogel (2020). "Impact of the thermal environment on the analog temporal response of HfOx-based neuromorphic devices." Applied Physics Letters 116(6): 063504 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5139627.
- Pahinkar, D. G., L. Boteler, D. Ibitayo, S. Narumanchi, P. Paret, D. DeVoto, J. Major and S. Graham (2019). "Liquid-Cooled Aluminum Silicon Carbide Heat Sinks for Reliable Power Electronics Packages." Journal of Electronic Packaging 141(4) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4043406.
- Agbim, K. A., D. G. Pahinkar and S. Graham (2018). "Integration of Jet Impingement Cooling With Direct Bonded Copper Substrates for Power Electronics Thermal Management." IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology 9(2): 226-234 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2863714.
- Pahinkar, D. G. and S. Garimella (2018). "A novel temperature swing adsorption process for natural gas purification: Part I, model development." Separation and Purification Technology 203: 124-142 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2018.04.020.
- Pahinkar, D. G. and S. Garimella (2018). "A novel temperature swing adsorption process for natural gas purification, part II: performance assessment." Separation and Purification Technology 204: 81-89 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2018.04.019.
- Pahinkar, D. G., W. Puckett, S. Graham, L. Boteler, D. Ibitayo, S. Narumanchi, P. Paret, D. DeVoto and J. Major (2018). "Transient Liquid Phase Bonding of AlN to AlSiC for Durable Power Electronic Packages." Advanced Engineering Materials: 1800039 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/adem.201800039.
- Boman, D. B., D. C. Hoysall, D. G. Pahinkar, M. J. Ponkala and S. Garimella (2017). "Screening of working pairs for adsorption heat pumps based on thermodynamic and transport characteristics." Applied Thermal Engineering 123: 422-434 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.04.153.
- Moore, B. K., D. G. Pahinkar and S. Garimella (2017). "Experimental and Analytical Investigation of Displacement Flows in Microchannels." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 112(September 2017): Pages 745–757 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.04.044.
- Pahinkar, D. G. and S. Garimella (2017). "Experimental and computational investigation of gas separation in adsorbent-coated microchannels." Chemical Engineering Science 173: 588-606 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2017.07.046.
- Pahinkar, D. G., S. Garimella and T. R. Robbins (2017). "Feasibility of temperature swing adsorption in adsorbent-coated microchannels for natural gas purification." Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 56(18): 5403-5416 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.7b00389.
- Pahinkar, D. G., S. Garimella and T. R. Robbins (2015). "Feasibility of using adsorbent-coated microchannels for pressure swing adsorption: parametric studies on depressurization." Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 54(41): 10103-10114 DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.5b01023.
- Bhattacharjee, D. and D. G. Pahinkar (2012). "Analysis of Performance of Bowlers using Combined Bowling Rate." International Journal of Sports Science and Engineering 6(03): 184-192 DOI: http://www.worldacademicunion.com/journal/SSCI/SSCIvol06no03paper08.pdf.
- Pahinkar, D. G. and J. Srinivasan (2010). "Simulation of Reverse Swing of a Cricket Ball." International Journal for Sports Science and Engineering 4(01): 053-064 DOI: http://www.worldacademicunion.com/journal/SSCI/sscivol04no01paper07.pdf.