Freshman Admission Requirements
Florida Tech stands for student success! We want to see our students excel in their classes, graduate on time and be well-prepared for a great job. To that end, the university strives to admit undergraduate applicants who demonstrate a high propensity to succeed in a rigorous, dynamic, hands-on learning environment. For first-year applicants, academic performance in high school is the best predictor of future success at Florida Tech.
Transcripts are the most important element of your application. More than anything else, we need to see that you have completed a strong high school curriculum and demonstrated achievement in college preparatory classes. Florida Tech does not specify a minimum required grade point average, class rank or standardized test score, but these elements are duly evaluated for admission and merit scholarship consideration.
Your high school transcripts should indicate a minimum:
- Four years of math, including trigonometry, mathematics analysis, analytical geometry or precalculus; and
- Four years of science, including physics and chemistry.
Take the most rigorous math and science curriculum offered by your high school.
Your high school transcripts should indicate at least:
- Three years of mathematics (four recommended); and
- Three years of science (four recommended).
On your application, be sure to indicate your participation in special classes, clubs or teams that involve academic competition, research projects or advanced problem-solving activities. This tells us you'll be right at home in our hands-on, project-oriented learning environment.
Freshman Application Requirements
When to Apply
Anytime throughout your senior year in high school for First-Time Full-Time-in-College students or anytime during your final academic year for Transfer students. Florida Tech uses a rolling admission policy and makes admission decisions once an application is received and completed.
Materials to Submit
Your application for undergraduate admission to a Melbourne campus program must include:
- Completed Common Application or Florida Tech Application
- Transcript(s) from your high school, or secondary school, with courses and grades posted at least through your junior year.
- Standardized test results (SAT or ACT)
The following materials are highly recommended, but not required:
- Personal essay
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor or coach
To have your SAT scores sent to Florida Tech, use code 5080. For the ACT, use 0716.
Applicants who present G.E.D. scores must also present secondary school records and standardized test results (SAT or ACT).
Required application materials vary slightly for home-schooled applicants. Home-schooled applicants must submit:
- Transcript of academic work including an assessment of the level attained in mathematics and the sciences and the texts that were used
- A self-descriptive, one-page essay that addresses academic, community and athletic accomplishments, career goals and work experience
- Standardized test results*