Siddhartha (Sid) Bhattacharyya’s primary area of research expertise/interest is in model based engineering/architectural analysis with formal methods for the design, verification and validation of intelligent autonomous systems, cyber security, explainable AI, smart power grid, systems biology and avionics. His research lab ASSIST (Assured Safety, Security and Intent with Sytematic Tactics) focuses on the design/development and application of innovative formal methods to assure the performance of intelligent systems, formally verify correctness or predict future behavior as it evolves.
Before joining Florida Institute of Technology, he had been a Sr. Research Engineer at Rockwell Collins’ Advanced Technology Center where he was as a Principle Investigator and researcher on research programs with National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA), Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA), Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) and Office of Naval Research (ONR). He also worked in several collaborative efforts on model based engineering and analysis with Honeywell, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Software Engineering Institute Carnegie Melon University and MIT Lincoln Lab. Prior to that, he had been leading efforts in the area of Software Engineering/Formal Methods and developing new program as a tenured faculty and Interim Chair of the Division of Computer Science at Kentucky State University. He was a summer research fellow at Applied Research Laboratory at Pennsylvania State University where he worked on the design, verification, simulation and synthesis of mission control for autonomous underwater vehicles. He also worked as summer faculty fellow at Oak Ridge National Laboratory where he developed methods for design and analysis of the complex smart power grid.
Phd, University of Kenctucky, Lexington KY, USA, 2005
Msc, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA, 2003
B.E, BIT Mesra, India, 2001
Sr. Research Engineer, Rockwell Collins, 2013-2016
Faculty, Kentucky State University, 2005-2012
Software Design Methods
Model Based Software Engineering
Advanced Software Engineering
• S. Bhattacharyya, J. Davis, T. Vogl, and A. Mclean, “Verifiable autonomy: A step towards pilot’s license for autonomy”. Oct 2016.
• “Formal Verification of Quasi-Synchronous Systems” S. Miller, S. Bhattacharyya, C. Tinelli, S. Smolka, C. Sticksel, B. Meng, J. Yang. Final Technical Report, Air Force Research Laboratory, July 2015.
• “Certification Considerations for Adaptive Systems”, S. Bhattacharyya, D. Cofer, D. Musliner, J. Mueller, E. Engstrom, Final Technical Report, NASA Langley, March 2015.
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- M. Patel, S. Bhattacharyya, and A. Alfageeh, “Formal Trust Architecture for Assuring Trusted Interactions in the Internet of Things”, IEEE-UEMCON, Oct 2019.
- A. Alfageeh, S. Bhattacharyya, S. J. Perl, and M. Patel, “Assurance for CyberSecurity with Assume-Guarantee Reasoning”, IEEE-UEMCON, Oct 2019.
- S. Bhattacharyya, T. C. Eskridge, N. A. Neogi, M. Carvalho, and M. Stafford, “Formal Assurance for Cooperative Intelligent Autonomous Agents,” in NASA Formal Methods, vol. 10811, A. Dutle, C. Muñoz, and A. Narkawicz, Eds. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2018, pp. 20–36.
- “Formal Assurance for Cooperative Intelligent Autonomous Agents, ”S. Bhattacharyya, T. C. Eskridge, N. A. Neogi, M. Carvalho, and M. Stafford, in NASA Formal Methods, vol. 10811, A. Dutle, C. Muñoz, and A. Narkawicz, Eds. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2018, pp. 20–36.
- “Real-Time Server Overloaded Monitoring Algorithm Using Back Propagation Artificial Neural Network”, J, Choi, C. Shen, J. Hannemann, and S. Bhattacharyya, IEEE, 2017 IEEE 7th Annual Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference sponsored by IEEE.
- “Certification Considerations for Adaptive Systems”, S. Bhattacharyya, D. Cofer, D. Musliner, J. Mueller, E. Engstrom. International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, 2015.
- “Enhancing autonomy with trusted cognitive modeling”, S. Bhattacharyya, J. Davis, T. Vogl, M. Matessa, A. Mclean, L. Smith-Velazquez, Atlanta GA, Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems Institute (AUVSI) May 2015.
- “Verification of Quasi-Synchronous systems with Uppaal”, S. Bhattacharyya, S. Miller, J. Yuang, S. Smolka, B. Meng, C. Sticksel and C. Tinelli, Digital Avionics Systems Conference, Colorado Springs, CO, Oct 2014.
- “Vibration monitoring and analysis using Wireless Sensor Networks to classify vehicles”, P. Garrity, S. Bhattacharyya, C. Shen, D. Dawadi, and B. Panja, International Intellectbase Consortium, Las Vegas, NV, Dec 16-18th 2010.
- “A real-time logic verification for Wireless Sensor Network”, J. Green and S. Bhattacharyya, 2009 World Congress on Computer Science and Information Engineering 2009.
- “Power system smart control and verification”, S. Bhattacharyya, J Nutaro, L. Miller, M. Shankar, and T. Kuruganti, IASTED Power and Energy Systems, April 2008.
- “Automated Coordinator Synthesis Mission Control of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles”, S. Bhattacharyya, R.Kumar, S. Tangirala and L.E. Holloway, OCEANS 2007, MTS/IEEE-OES, Vancouver BC, Canada.
- “Animation/ Simulation of Hybrid-Model based Hierarchical Mission Control Architecture for Autonomous Undersea Vehicles”, S. Bhattacharyya, R.Kumar, S.Tangirala, M.O’Connor, and L.E. Holloway, ACC 2006, Minneapolis, MN
- “Hybrid-Model based Hierarchical Mission Control Architecture for Autonomous Undersea Vehicles: Verification”, M.O’Connor, S.Tangirala, R.Kumar, S. Bhattacharyya and L.E. Holloway, ACC 2006, Minneapolis, MN Journal articles
Research & Project Interests
Model Based Software/System Design and Engineering,
Mission Control for Autonomous System,
Funded Research Projects
- “Assured Human Machine Interaction for Increasingly Autonomous Systems”, Feb 2020-Dec 2023, NASA LaRC.
- Exploring design and assurance of autonomous agents deployed for Urban Air Mobility
- “A Multidisciplinary Approach to Internet-of-Things (IoT) Cybersecurity Research to Develop the Research Capacity of ROTC Students”, May 2020-August 2021, ONR.
- Exploring generation of cybersecurity strategies with formal approaches to model and anlyze IOT
- “Model Based Systems Engineering for Tactical Data Link Systems”, August 2020, ONR.
- Exploring automated analysis of heterogenous systems integrated to meet mission objectives