Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, RutgersUniversity
M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Rutgers University
B.S., Physics, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey
Program Chair, Biomedical Engineering, March 2022- Present
Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Florida Tech, 2020 - Present
Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Florida Tech, 2012 - August 2020.
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Center for Ultrasound Molecular Imaging and Therapeutics, Cardiovascular Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2009 –2011
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering UNC, Chapel Hill & NCSU & Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2007-2009
Research Consultant, NYU Medical Center, Brain Research Laboratories & Everest Biomedical Instruments, 2006 – 2007
BME Program ABET and SACS Coordinator
Faculty Senate Administrative Policies Committee Chair
BME Program Faculty Senate Representative
BME 1045: Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
BME 4252: Biomedical Measurements and Instrumentation
BME 4253: Biomedical Imaging and Instrumentation Lab
BME 5720: Biomedical Instrumentation (Graduate Level)
BME 5790: Biomedical Sensors and Signal Processing (Graduate Level)
BME 5310: Cardiovascular Engineering (Graduate/Undergraduate Level)
BME 5790: Biomedical Informatics (Graduate Level)
- G Ye, V Balasubramanian, JKJ Li, M Kaya (2022). Machine learning-based continuous intracranial pressure prediction for traumatic injury patients. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine 10, 1-8.
- G Ye, M Kaya (2022). Automated Cell Foreground–Background Segmentation with Phase-Contrast Microscopy Images: An Alternative to Machine Learning Segmentation Methods with Small-Scale Data. Bioengineering 9 (2), 8.
- M Kaya, V Balasubramanian, JKJ Li (2022). Inadequacy of Augmentation Index for Monitoring Arterial Stiffness: Comparison with Arterial Compliance and Other Hemodynamic Variables. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, 1-13.
- Y Shokrollahi, P Dong, M Kaya, DW Suh, L Gu (2022). Rapid prediction of retina stress and strain patterns in soccer-related ocular injury: integrating finite element analysis with machine learning approach. Diagnostics 12 (7), 1530.
- Attar E and Kaya M. (2021). Stress Analysis Based on Simultaneous Heart Rate Variability and EEG Monitoring. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health & Medicine, 9:1-7.Pubmed PMID: 34513342
- Ye G, Deng H., Woodworth DC and Kaya M. (2021). An Unsupervised Machine Learning Algorithm to Detect Undifferentiated Cell Clusters of Immortalized Human Cervical Epithelial Cell 2021 4th International Conference on Bio-Engineering for Smart Technologies (BioSMART).
- Ye G, Balasubramanian V, Li JKJ and Kaya M. (2021). Intracranial Pressure Prediction With a Recurrent Neural Network Model. 2021 4th International Conference on Bio-Engineering for Smart Technologies (BioSMART).
- Dehghanojamahalleh S., Balasubramanian V. and Kaya M. (2020). Preliminary Comparison of Zero-Gravity Chair With Tilt Table in Relation to Heart Rate Variability Measurements. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health & Medicine; April 2, 8:1-8. Pubmed PMID: 32313733.
- Dong P., Ye G., Kaya M., Wilson D., Gu L. (2020). Simulation-driven machine learning for predicting stent expansion in calcified coronary artery. Applied Sciences; 10 (17), 5820
- Dehghanojamahalleh S. and Kaya M. (2020). An alternative method of biomedical signal transmission through the GSM voice channel. Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences; 28 (3): 1791-1802.
- Dehghanojamahalleh# and Kaya M. (2019). Sex-related Differences in Photoplethysmography Signals Measured from Finger and Toe. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health & Medicine; 7:1-7. Pubmed PMID: 31667026.
- Kaya M, Balasubramanian V, Li JKJ. (2019). Augmentation Index in the Assessment of Wave Reflections and Systolic Loading. Computers in Biology and Medicine; 113:103-118. Pubmed PMID: 31493580.
- Balasubramanian V#, Li JK, O'Hara D, Kaya M. (2019). Myocardial Oxygen Balance during Acute Normovolemic Hemodilution: A Novel Compartmental Modeling Approach. Comput Biol Med; 105:16-26. Pubmed PMID: 30572164.
- Kaya M, Balasubramanian V, Ge Y, Li JKJ. (2019). Energetically Wasteful Wave Reflections due to Impedance Mismatching in Hypertension and Their Reversal with Vasodilator: Time and Frequency Domain Evaluations. Comput Biol Med. Nov 17;104:117-126. Pubmed PMID: 30472494.
- Ge Y., Kaya M., Balasubramanian V., Kerkhof PLM. and Li J.K-J. (2019). Biomechanics of Arteries under Cyclical Pulsations in Hypertension and Drug Delivery, Of NEBE 2019.
- Kaya M, Balasubramanian V#, Patel A, Ge Y, Li JKJ. (2018). A Novel Compliance-Pressure Loop Approach to Quantify Arterial Compliance in Systole and in Diastole. Computers in Biology and Medicine. Jun 5; 99: 98-106. doi: 10.1016. Pubmed PMID: 29908395.
- Li JK, Kaya M, Kerkhof PLM. (2018) Quantitative Cardiology and Computer Modeling Analysis of Heart Failure in Systole and in Diastole. Comput Biol Med. 2018 Dec 1;103:252-261S. Invited Paper. Pubmed PMID: 30396041.
- Cuffie B., Bernard, T. Mehta Y., Kaya M., Scott W., and Stephane L. (2018). Proposed Architecture of a Sensory Enhanced Suit for Space Applications. 2018 AIAA SPACE and Astronautics Forum and Exposition. pp. 1–7.
- Balasubramanian V#, Li, J. K-J., O'Hara D, and Kaya M*. (2017). Modeling and Assessment of Myocardial Oxygen Balance during Hemodilution and Surgical Blood Loss using a Novel Approach, Of NEBE 2017.
- Modi SH#, Weldon D, Kaya M*. (2016). Non-Invasive, Real time and Affordable Monitoring of Hemoglobin and Vital Parameters for ICU Patients. of Annual Meeting of Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES).
- Pliskow B.#, Mitra K., and Kaya M*. (2016). Simulation of Scalp Cooling by External Devices for Prevention of Chemotherapy-induced Alopecia. Journal of Thermal Biology. Feb;56:31-8. PMID: 26857974.
- Pliskow B#, Li, J K-J., O'Hara D, and Kaya M*. (2016). A Novel Approach to Modeling Acute Normovolemic Hemodilution. Computers in Biology and Medicine. Jan 1;68:155-164. PMID:26654872. Pubmed PMID: 26654872.
- Unal MA and Kaya M. Internet of Health (IoH): Integration of Social Media into Telemedicine. Proceedings of 2nd International Conference of Biomedical Engineering and Systems (ICBES). (2015).
- Dehghanojamahalleh S and Kaya M. Design and Implementation of a portable ECG signal transmission prototype. Proc. of Annual Meeting of Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES). (2015).
- Kaya M, Toma C, Wang J, Grata M, Fu H, Villanueva FS, Chen X. Acoustic Radiation Force for Vascular Cell Therapy: In Vitro Validation. Ultrasound Med Biol. Sep 10, (12)S0301-5629. (2012).
- KwanJJ, Kaya M, Borden MA and Dayton PA. Theranostic oxygen delivery using ultrasound and microbubbles . Theranostics. (2012).
- Mullin L, Gessner R, Kwan J, Kaya M, Borden MA, Dayton PA. Effect of anesthesia carrier gas on in vivo circulation times of ultrasound microbubble contrast agents in rats. Contrast Media Mol Imaging. May-Jun;6(3):126-31. (2011).
- Kaya M, Feingold S, Hettiarachchi K, Lee AP, Dayton PA. Acoustic responses of monodisperse lipid-encapsulated microbubble contrast agents produced by flow focusing. Bubble Sci Eng Technol. Dec;2(2):33-40. (2010).
- Toma C, Fisher A, Wang J, Chen X, Grata M, Leeman J, Winston B, Kaya M, Fu H, Lavery L, Fischer D, Wagner WR, Villanueva FS. Vascular endoluminal delivery of mesenchymal stem cells using acoustic radiation force. Tissue Eng Part A. May;17(9-10). 2011
- Kaya M, Gregory TS 5th, Dayton PA. Changes in lipid-encapsulated microbubble population during continuous infusion and methods to maintain consistency. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2009 Oct;35(10):1748-55.
Recognition & Awards
Excellence in Teaching Award, 2019
Director of Biomedical Instrumentation, Signals and Computing Lab:
- Heart Rate Variability Analysis
- Cufless and continuous blood pressure monitoring technology development
- Machine learning-based applications on:
- Prediction of brain trauma injuries from intracranial blood pressure
- Cuffless-blood pressure monitoring
- Cellular image segmentation
- Prediction of cardiovascular diseases from patient data
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Other Neurological and Cardiovascular applications applications: Alzheimer, stroke, arterial diseases, heart valve diseases, etc.
- Stress and Meditation Analysis with EEG, ECG, EMG, and Heart Rate Variability
- Automated Cell Foreground–Background Segmentation with Phase-Contrast Microscopy Images
- Brain–computer interface (EEG Based) game applications for neurofeedback and biofeedback treatment for children on the autism spectrum, ADHD, as well as learning as well as speech therapy
- Computer models of the cardiovascular system for diagnostic and therapeutic applications (Hemodilution, Myocardial Ischemia, Atherosclerosis, Heart Failure etc.)
- Biomedical sensors and physiological signals processing (including EEG, ECG, EOG, EMG, GSR, HRV, sudomotor function, blood pressure, blood flow and pulse wave velocity, etc.
- Ultrasound Imaging
- Theranostic oxygen delivery using ultrasound and microbubbles