Professor | Mechanical and Civil Engineering
F.W. Olin Engineering Complex, 214
2003 Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award
2001 National Science Foundation Career Award
2004 Florida Institute of Technology - University Award for Excellence in Research
2003 Florida Institute of Technology - College of Engineering Award for Excellence in Research
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, IEEE
American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1997
M.Eng., Manufacturing Systems Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1993
B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Universidad Catolica del Peru, 1991
B.Sc., Applied Mathematics, Universidad Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru, 1989
Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 2013 - .
Associate Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 2004-2013.
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 1999-2004.
Visiting Researcher, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Newcastle, Australia, 2001.
Post Doctoral Research Associate, Center for Advanced Computing and Communication, North Carolina State University, 1997-1999.
Research Assistant, Precision Engineering Center and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1992-1997.
Instructor, Department of Mathematics and Physics, Universidad Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru, 1989-199
- T. Gao, H. Gutierrez, D. Kirk, J. Avramov, W. Tam: “Extraction of Pendulum Model Parameters from Steady-state Slosh Data in Diaphragm Tanks,” AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 751-760, February 2022, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.A35146
- R. Bahadori, H. Gutierrez, S. Shafiee: “A parallelizable mesh-free approach for simulation of heat conduction in ferromagnetic particulate materials under magnetic field effect,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, (174), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2021.121343, August 2021.
- T. Fernando, Q. Zhou, H. Gutierrez: “Hybrid Nonlinear State-Space Modeling Approach for a Dual Armature Generator”, Electronics, June 2021, 10, 1401. https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics10121401
- N. Hariri, H. Gutierrez, J. Rakoczy, R. Howard, I. Bertaska: “Proximity Operations and Three Degree-of-Freedom Maneuvers Using the Smartphone Video Guidance Sensor,” Robotics, 9(3), 70, https://doi.org/10.3390/robotics9030070, September 2020.
- N. Hariri, H. Gutierrez, J. Rakoczy, R. Howard, I. Bertaska: “Performance Characterization of the Smartphone Video Guidance Sensor as Vision-Based Positioning System,” Sensors, 20(18), 5299, https://doi.org/10.3390/s20185299, September 2020.
- R. Bahadori, H. Gutierrez, “Effective Floating Volume: a highly parallelizablemesh-free approach for solving transient multiphysics problems in multi-scale geometries with non-linear material properties”, Computational Mechanics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-019-01797-x, November 2019.
- R. Bahadori, H. Gutierrez, S. Manikonda, R. Meinke, “A mesh-free Monte-Carlo method for simulation of three-dimensional transient heat conduction in a composite layered material with temperature dependent thermal properties,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, (119), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.11.140, April 2018.
- H. Gutierrez, H. Luijten, “5-DOF Real-time Control of Active Electrodynamic Maglev,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 9, pp. 7468-7476. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2018.2795520, September 2018.
- N. Tsushima, W. Su, H. Gutierrez, M. Wolf, E. Griffin, J. Whittaker, M. Dumoulin, “Monitoring multi-axial vibrations of flexible rockets using sensor-instrumented reference strain structures,” Aerospace Science and Technology, (71), September 2017, p285–298.
- R. Bahadori, H. Gutierrez, S. Manikonda, R. Meinke, “Two-dimensional transient heat conduction in multi-layered composite media with temperature dependent thermal diffusivity using floating random walk Monte-Carlo method,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, (115), July 2017, pp. 570–580.
- N. He, H. Gutierrez, Q. Gao and C. Jiang: “Fuzzy terminal sliding-mode control for hypersonic vehicles,” Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, (33), December 2017, pp. 1831–1839.
- H. Gutierrez, R. Meinke, T. Fernando, D. Kirk: “Non-contact DC electromagnetic propulsion by multipole transversal field: numerical and experimental validation,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 8, August 2016.
- H. Jiang, B. van der Veek, D. Kirk, H. Gutierrez, V. Dolk, "Modal estimation by fiber Bragg grating sensors for flexible structures attitude control”, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 50, No. 4, October 2014.
- H. Jiang, B. van der Veek, D. Kirk, H. Gutierrez, "Real-Time Estimation of Time-Varying Bending Modes Using Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor Arrays", AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 178-185, (2013).
- D. Li, H. Gutierrez: “Quasi-sliding mode control of a high precision hybrid magnetic suspension actuator,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, V. 25. No.1 (2013).
- R. Meinke, D. Kirk and H. Gutierrez: "Hypersonic Electromagnetic Launch by Constant-Flux Synchronous Motor," 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Montreal, Canada, July 2006. PDF
C. Goodzeit, R. Meinke, H. Gutierrez, P. Masson, H. Schneider-Muntau: "High Power Density Marine Propulsion Motors with Double-Helix Coils," 2006 Applied Superconductivity Conf., Seattle, WA, Aug. 2006. PDF
J. de Boeij, M. Steinbuch, H. Gutierrez: Modelling the Electromechanical Interactions in a Null-Flux EDS Maglev System, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.41, No.1, Jan 2005. PDF
J. de Boeij, M. Steinbuch, H. Gutierrez: Mathematical Model of the 5-DOF Sled Dynamics of an Electrodynamic Maglev System with a Passive Sled, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.41, No.1, Jan 2005. PDF
J. de Boeij, M. Steinbuch, H. Gutierrez: Real-Time Control of the 3-DOF Sled Dynamics of an Electrodynamic Maglev System with a Passive Sled, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.42, No.5, May 2006. PDF
H. Gutierrez, P. I. Ro: "Magnetic Servo Levitation by Sliding-Mode Control of Nonaffine Systems With Algebraic Input Invertibility, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 5, Oct. 2005. PDF
H. Gutierrez, P. I. Ro: "Sliding Mode Control of a Nonlinear-Input System: Application to a Magnetically Levitated Fast-Tool Servo," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. Vol. 45, No. 6, Dec. 1998. PDF
H. Gutierrez, P. I. Ro: "Parametric Modeling and Control of a Long- Range Actuator using Magnetic Servo Levitation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. Vol. 34, No. 5, Sept. 1998. PDF
K. Gard, H. Gutierrez, M. B. Steer: "Characterization of Spectral Regrowth in Microwave Amplifiers based on the Nonlinear Transformation of a Complex Gaussian Process," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. Vol. 47, No. 7, Jul. 1999. PDF
H. Gutierrez, K. Gard, M. B. Steer: "Nonlinear Gain Compression in Microwave Amplifiers using Generalized Power Series Analysis and Transformation of Input Statistics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. Vol. 48, No. 10, Oct. 2000. PDF
Recognition & Awards
Professional Engineer, Control Systems, Florida, 2001
Faculty Fellow, NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Summer 2012
International Chair Professor, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan, 2012 – 2013
- Precision Landing of a Hexacopter Drone by Smartphone Video Guidance Sensor, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Phase 1: Indoor landing, Phase 2: High altitude landing.
- Vision-Based Navigation for Formation Flight onboard ISS. NASA Ames Research Center. STTR Phase I, Phase II.
- A Parallel Computing Engine for Simulation of Complex Multi-scale Systems. National Science Foundation, Partnerships for Innovation
- Smartphone Video Guidance Sensor for Navigation of RINGS on-board ISS. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center.
- Redeployment of SVGS for Rendezvous and Docking in Space Applications. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center.
Real-time Monitoring and Control of Flexible Aerospace Structures using Fiber-Bragg Sensor Arrays. NASA Launch Services Program, Phase I, II, III, IV.
Acquisition of Long-Duration, Low-Gravity Slosh Data in existing ISS Equipment for Calibration of CFD Models of Coupled Fluid-Vehicle Behavior. NASA Advanced Exploration Systems.
NSF-CAREER Award: A Mechatronic Framework for Magnetic Suspension Technology.
ONR-Young Investigator Award: Control of the Vertical Dynamics of Electrodynamic Maglev Systems for Launching
Electromagnetic Launch for Affordable, Agile Access to Space. Air Force Office of Scientific Research. Phase I, II.
NSF-SGER: Smart Structures: Control of Structural Vibrations with Magneto-Rheological Tuned Mass Dampers.