Federal Work Study
For questions concerning the Federal Work-Study Program (FWS), contact:
- firstname.lastname@example.org or 321-674-8102 for general questions
- Contact HR for issues with Workday or applications: 321-674-7427 or email@example.com
- Stop by Denius Student Center, Room 150 (behind the bookstore) if you would like someone to show you how to apply to jobs
What is Federal Work-Study?
Federal Work-Study (FWS) is an employment program which allows students to earn a paycheck through a financial aid award paid by federal funds. Since it is federal money, students must receive the award from Financial Aid each academic year (Fall through Spring), and they must be paid hourly (for actual hours worked). Students can spend their earned wages on anything and can only earn up to their award amount (earnings are not applied to tuition).
Eligibility: FWS awards are given by the Financial Aid Office to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who qualify based on their FAFSA, if you have questions about eligibility reach out to Financial Aid, firstname.lastname@example.org. The program provides part-time employment opportunities in two areas, On-Campus & Community Service.
- Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week (cannot be scheduled during class periods)
- Can only hold one FWS position at a time
- No remote or take home work is permitted in this program
- Students must be supervised and cannot replace staff positions
- No political or religious tasks permitted
- You may only be paid for actual hours worked (subject to hourly wage laws)
- You may only earn up to the award amount granted by Financial Aid
- Your award amount is the total you can earn in Fall & Spring
- Timesheets are due bi-weekly in order to receive a paycheck
On-Campus Federal Work-Study ( starts $12/hour)
There are numerous on-campus work-study employment opportunities for eligible students. Students may choose where they want to apply; there is a surplus of positions which ensures there will always be a job available for every student. Some jobs may have qualification requirements, such as having lifeguard certification or a required major for a lab/research position.
- Library Help Desk Assistant
- Mailroom Clerk
- Lab Assistant
- Student Ambassador (Tour Guide)
- Copy Center Assistant
Community Work Study (starts $13/hour)
The Community Service program provides off-campus, part-time employment to eligible students. The work must be performed with a non-profit agency that is contracted with Career Services. Students are responsible for transportation to their job site, but most sites are very close to campus.
Available Community Service Positions for Fall 2023:
- Brevard After School Program, University Park Elementary: Afterschool Tutoring in English & Math
- Tutor elementary students in 1-6 grades from 3-5pm (half mile from campus)
- Groundswell Startups, 3D Printing Technician
- Assist entrepreneurs and tech startups with product creation (2 miles from campus)
1. Check your Financial Aid Package to Accept Your Award
Each student will receive an award amount in their Financial Aid Package, this is the amount you can earn for both Fall & Spring. If you have questions about your award, contact Financial Aid.
2. Log In to Workday to Apply to a Job
- Use your TRACKS login on Workday, must be on the campus network to view all positions
- Use Chrome browser on a PC to avoid application errors
- Click the ‘Career Icon’ to see Student Jobs
- Apply to positions marked 'FWS only'; you can filter for these under "Job Family" and select 'Student - Work Study'
- Each department has different interview procedures and will send an offer through WorkDay, you may reach out to the supervisor listed on the job for questions about the position
3. Complete Any Hire Paperwork
- New Students: You will complete an I9 and W4 in Workday and go to the HR office on campus to show your original IDs, be sure to bring at least one ORIGINAL from the following list from home (copies are not acceptable):
- Social Security Card or
- Birth Certificate
- All Students: Complete or update your Direct Deposit in Workday
4. Start Date Will be Given in Workday
*If you have questions about WorkDay or your application status, contact HR: email@example.com