Dr. Chungkuk Jin is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Ocean Engineering and Marine Sciences at the Florida Institute of Technology. His research interests include:
- Fluid-structure interaction
- Ocean renewable energy (wave energy converter, floating offshore wind turbines, floating photovoltaics)
- Ocean infrastructures (Floating bridges, submerged floating tunnels, floating cities)
- Hydro-elasticity analysis on deformable floating structures
- Ocean monitoring system using sensors
- Digital twin and machine learning applications to Ocean Engineering
- Ph.D., Ocean Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 2019
- M.E., Marine System Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University, Korea, 2012
- B.E., Marine System Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University, Korea, 2008
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Ocean Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA (10/2020–08/2022)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Ocean Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA (06/2019–09/2020)
- Military Service (Lieutenant Junior Grade, Chief Engineer in Korean Warship), Korean Navy, South Korea (03/2018–02/2010)
- Fluid Mechanics (OCE 3030)
- Fluid Mechanics Lab (OCE 3033)
- Hydromechanics/Wave Theory (OCE 3521)
- Water Wave Laboratory (OCE 3522)
- Hydrodynamics of Offshore Structures (OCE 5903)
- C. Jin, G.-J. Kim, S. Kim, M.H. Kim, H.-G. Kwak, Discrete-module-beam-based hydro-elasticity simulations for moored submerged floating tunnel under regular and random wave excitations, Engineering Structures, 275:115198, 2023.
- J.-M. Ha, J.-A. Jeong, C. Jin, Development of Conductive Mortar for Efficient Sacrificial Anode Cathodic Protection of Reinforced Concrete Structures—Part 1: Laboratory Experiments, Applied Sciences, 12:12056, 2022.
- C. Jin, S.-J. Kim, M.H. Kim, Vibration control of submerged floating tunnel in waves and earthquakes through tuned mass damper, International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 14: 100483, 2022.
- D.-S. Kwon, C. Jin, M.H. Kim, Prediction of dynamic and structural responses of submerged floating tunnel using artificial neural network and minimum sensors, Ocean Engineering, 244: 110402, 2022.
- G.-J. Kim, H.-G. Kwak, C. Jin, H.Y. Kang, W.C. Chung, 3-dimensional equivalent static analysis for design of SFT, Marine Structures, 80: 103080, 2021.
- W.C. Chung, M.H. Kim, C. Jin, Real-time trace of riser profile and stress with inclinometers, Ocean Engineering, 234: 109292, 2021.
- C. Jin, W.C. Chung, D.-S. Kwon, M.H. Kim, Optimization of tuned mass damper for seismic control of submerged floating tunnel, Engineering Structures, 241: 112460, 2021.
- H.S. Kim, C. Jin, M.H. Kim, Real-time estimation of riser’s deformed shape using inclinometers and extended Kalman filter, Marine Structures, 77: 102933, 2021.
- F.P. Bakti, C. Jin, M.H. Kim, Practical approach of linear hydro-elasticity effect on vessel with forward speed in the frequency domain, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 101: 103204, 2021.
- C. Jin, F.P. Bakti, M.H. Kim, Time-domain coupled dynamic simulation for SFT-mooring-train interaction in waves and earthquakes, Marine Structures, 75: 102883, 2021.
- C. Jin, H.Y. Kang, M.H. Kim, F.P. Bakti, Performance evaluation of surface riding wave energy converter with linear electric generator, Ocean Engineering, 218: 108141, 2020.
- C. Jin, H.Y. Kang, M.H. Kim, I. Cho, Performance estimation of resonance-enhanced dual-buoy wave energy converter using coupled time-domain simulation, Renewable Energy, 160: 1445–1457, 2020.
- C. Jin, F.P. Bakti, M.H. Kim, Multi-floater-mooring coupled time-domain hydro-elastic analysis in regular and irregular waves, Applied Ocean Research, 101: 102276, 2020.
- H.S. Kim, C. Jin, M.H. Kim, K. Kim, Damage detection of bottom-set gillnet using artificial neural network, Ocean Engineering, 208: 107423, 2020.
- C. Jin, M.-H. Kim, Tunnel-mooring-train coupled dynamic analysis for submerged floating tunnel under wave excitations, Applied Ocean Research, 94: 102008, 2020.
- C. Jin, M.-H. Kim, Time-domain hydro-elastic analysis of a SFT (submerged floating tunnel) with mooring lines under extreme wave and seismic excitations, Applied Sciences, 8: 2386, 2018.
- J.A. Jeong, C.K. Jin, Experimental studies of effectiveness of hybrid cathodic protection system on the steel in concrete, Science of Advanced Materials, 6: 2165–2170, 2014.
- J.-A. Jeong, C.-K. Jin, Y.-H. Kim, W.-S. Chung, Electrochemical performance evaluation of corrosion monitoring sensor for reinforced concrete structures, Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 11: 1–6, 2013.
- J.-A. Jeong, C.-K. Jin, W.-S. Chung, Tidal water effect on the hybrid cathodic protection systems for marine concrete structures, Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 10: 389–394, 2012.
Recognition & Awards
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Fluid Mechanics in 2020
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Texas A&M University
- ISOPE Scholarship for Outstanding Students, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers