Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Wayne State University, 2009
M.S., Chemical Engineering, Wayne State University, 2005
B.Tech., Chemical Engineering, Sri Ram Engineering College, India, 2000
Associate Professor, Florida Tech, Chemical Engineering, 2019 - Present
Assistant Professor, Florida Tech, Chemical Engineering, 2013 - 2019
Senior Research Associate, Case Western Reserve University, Mechanical Engineering, 2012 - 2013
Research Associate, Case Western Reserve University, Mechanical Engineering, 2011 - 2012
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Purdue University, Biomedical Engineering, 2009 - 2011
CHE 2101 - Chemical Process Principles I
CHE 3101 - Transport Processes
CHE 3260 - Materials
CHE 3265 - Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
BME 3260 - Biomaterials
CHE 5300/BME 5300 - Graduate Biomaterials
- Ali S, Patrawalla N, Kajave NS, Kishore V; Species-Based Differences in Mechanical Properties, Cytocompatibility and Printability of Methacrylated Collagen Hydrogels, Biomacromolecules. accepted, 2022.
- Shokrollahi Y, Dong P, Gamage PT, Patrawalla N, Kishore V, Mozafari H, Gu L; Finite Element-Based Machine Learning Model for Predicting the Mechanical Properties of Composite Hydrogels, Applied Sciences, 12(21), 10835, 2022.
- Patrawalla NY, Kajave NS, Kishore V; A Comparative Study of Bone Bioactivity and Osteogenic Potential of Different Bioceramics in Methacrylated Collagen Hydrogels, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 10.1002/jbm.a.37452, 2022.
- Sousa T, Kajave NS, Dong P, Gu L, Florczyk S, Kishore V; Optimization of Freeze-Fresh Methodology for 3D Printing of Microporous Collagen Constructs, 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, 9(5), 411-424, 2022.
- Baltazar T, Kajave NS, Rodriguez M, Chakraborty S, JIang B, Skardal A, Kishore V, Pober J, Albanna M; Native human collagen type I provides a viable physiologically relevant alternative to xenogeneic sources for tissue engineering applications: a comparative in vitro and in vivo study, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, 110(10), 2323-37, 2022.
- Kajave NS, Schmitt T, Patrawalla NY, Kishore V; Design-Build-Validate Strategy to 3D Print Bioglass Gradients for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Enthesis Reconstruction, Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods, 28(4), 158-167, 2022.
- Somasekhar L, Huynh N, Vecheck A, Kishore V, Bashur CA, Mitra K; 3D Printing of Cell-Laden Microporous Constructs Using Blended Bioinks, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 110(3), 535-546, 2022.
- Schmitt T, Katz N, Kishore V; A Feasibility Study on 3D Bioprinting of Microfat Constructs Towards Wound Healing Applications, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 9:707098, 2021.
- Kajave N, Schmitt S, Nguyen TU, Gaharawar AK, Kishore V; Bioglass incorporated methacrylated collagen bioactive ink for 3D printing of bone tissue, Biomedical Materials, 16:035003, 2020.
- Schmitt T, Kajave NS, Cai H, Gu L, Albanna M, Kishore V; In vitro characterization of xeno-free clinically relevant human collagen and its applicability in cell-laden 3D bioprinting, Journal of Biomaterial Applications, 35(8), 912-923, 2020.
- Kajave NS, Schmitt T, Nguyen TU, Kishore V; Dual crosslinking strategy to generate mechanically viable cell-laden printable constructs using methacrylated collagen bioinks, Materials Science and Engineering: C, 110290, 2019.
- Nguyen TU, Watkins KE, Kishore V; Photochemically crosslinked cell-laden methacrylated collagen hydrogels with high cell viability and functionality, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 107(7), 1541-50, 2019.
- Nguyen TU, Shojaee M, Bashur CA, Kishore V; Electrochemcial fabrication of a biomimetic elastin-containing bi-layered scaffold for vascular tissue engineering, Biofabrication, 11(1):015007, 2018.
- Bridgeman CJ, Nguyen TU, Kishore V; Anticancer efficacy of tannic acid is dependent on the stiffness of the underlying matrix, Journal of Biomaterials Science Polymer Edition, 29(4), 412-427, 2018.
- Nijsure MP, Kishore V; Collagen-based Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering, Orthopedic Biomaterials, 2017.
- Nijsure MP, Pastakia M, Spano J, Fenn MB, Kishore V; Bioglass Incorporation Improves Mechanical Properties and Enhances Cell-Mediated Mineralization on Electrochemically Aligned Collagen Threads, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 105(9):2429-2440, 2017.
- Kishore V, Iyer R, Frandsen A, Nguyen TU; In Vitro Characterization of Electrochemically Compacted Collagen Matrices for Corneal Applications, Biomedical Materials, 11(5):055008, 2016.
- Nguyen TU, Bashur CA, Kishore V; Impact of elastin incorporation into electrochemically aligned collagen fibers on mechanical properties and smooth muscle cell phenotype, Biomedical Materials, 11(2):025008, 2016.
- Liu G, Pastakia M, Fenn MB, Kishore V; Saos-2 cell-mediated mineralization on collagen gels: Effect of densification and bioglass incorporation, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 104(5), 1121-34, 2016.
- Kishore V, Alapan Y, Iyer R, Mclay R, Gurkan UA; Application of Hydrogels in Ocular Tissue Engineering, Gels Handbook: Fundamentals, Properties and Applications, Volume 2, 137-64, 2016.
- Younesi M, Islam A, Kishore V, Panit S, Akkus O; Fabrication of compositionally and topographically compex robust tissue forms by 3D-electrochemical compaction of collagen, Biofabrication, 7(3):035001, 2015.
- Younesi M, Islam A, Kishore V, Anderson J, Akkus O; Tenogenic Induction of Human MSCs by Anisotropically Aligned Collagen Biotextiles, Advanced Functional Materials, 24(36), 5762-70, 2014.
- Reich M, Kishore V, Iglesias R, Akkus O; Genipin as a sporicidal agent for the treatment of cortical bone allografts, Journal of Biomaterials Applications, 28(9), 1336-42, 2014.
- Uquillas JA, Kishore V, Akkus O; Optimized Crosslinking Elevates the Strength of Electrochemically Aligned Collagen to the Level of Tendons, Journal of Mechanical Behavior for Biomedical Materials, 15C, 176-189, 2012.
- Sun X, Kishore V, Fites K, Akkus O; Osteoblasts Detect Extracellular Calcium Concentration Increase via Neomycin-Sensitive Calcium Channels, Bone, 51(5), 860-67, 2012.
- Gurkan UA, Golden R, Kishore V, Riley CP, Adamec J, Akkus O; Immune and Inflammatory Pathways Are Involved in Inherent Bone Ossification, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 470(9), 2528-2540, 2012.
- Gaharwar AK*, Kishore V *, Rivera C, Bullock W, Wu C-J, Akkus O, Schmidt G, Physically Crosslinked Nanocomposites from Silicate Crosslinked PEO: Mechanical Properties and Osteogenic Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Macromolecular Biosciences, 12(6), 779-93, (*equal contribution), 2012.
- Sun X, McLamore E, Kishore V, Fites K, Slipchenko M, Porterfield M, Akkus O; Mechanical Stretch Induced Calcium Efflux from Bone Cells Stimulates Osteoblasts, Bone, 50(3), 581-91, 2012.
- Kishore V, Bullock W, Sun X, Van Dyke WS, Akkus O; Tenogenic Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells Induced by the Topography of Electrochemically Aligned Collagen Threads, Biomaterials, 33(7), 2137-2144, 2012.
- Kishore V, Uquillas JA, Dubikovsky A, Alsheshabat M, Snyder P, Breur GJ, Akkus O; In Vivo Response to Electrochemically Aligned Collagen Bioscaffolds, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, 100(2), 400-8, 2012.
- Uquillas JA, Kishore V, Akkus O; Effects of Phosphate Buffered Saline Concentration and Incubation Time on the Mechanical and Structural Properties of Electrochemically Aligned Collagen Threads, Biomedical Materials, 6(3):035008, 2011.
- Kishore V, Paderi JE, Akkus A, Smith KM, Balachandran D, Beaudoin S, Panitch A, Akkus O; Incorporation of a Decorin Biomimetic Enhances the Mechanical Properties of Electrochemically Aligned Collagen Threads, Acta Biomaterialia, 7(6), 2428-2436, 2011.
- Gurkan UA, Kishore V, Condon KW, Bellido TM, Akkus O; A Scaffold-Free Multicellular Three-Dimensional In Vitro Model of Osteogenesis, Calcified Tissue International, 88(5), 388-401, 2011.
- Kishore V, Eliason JF, Matthew HWT; Covalently Immobilized Glycosaminoglycans Enhance Megakaryocyte Expansion and Platelet Release, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 96(4), 682-692, 2011.
- Gurkan UA, Cheng X*, Kishore V *, Uquillas JA, Akkus O; Comparison of Morphology, Orientation and Migration of Tendon Derived Fibroblasts and Bone Marrow Stromal Cells on Electrochemically Aligned Collagen Constructs, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 94(4), 1070-1079 (*equal contribution), 2010.
Recognition & Awards
- Received NIH R15 AREA grant award for a project entitled "3D Printed Biomimetic Bioglass-Gradient Matrices for ACL Reconstruction" (Total Funding: $377,556).
- Teaching Excellence Award, Florida Tech Chemical Engineering, July 2017.
- AO Foundation Young Investigator Start-Up Grant Award for a project entitled “Bioactive Sutures for Tendon Repair” (Total Funding: $126,000).
- Co-Investigator of a Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation Grant Award, Project Title: “Tenocytic Differentiation of Human Periosteal Stem Cells on Electrochemically Aligned Collagen” (Total Funding: $40,000).
- Best Poster Award at the European Society of Biomechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, (2012). Poster title: Tissue Mimicking Dense Aligned Collagen Induces Tenogenic Differentiation of Human MSCs.
- Nominated and Elected as a Full Member of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, 2011.
- Member of Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) and Society for Biomaterials (SFB)
Research projects in Kishore lab focus on the development of novel biomaterial processing strategies to generate biomimetic scaffolds and in vitro models that resemble the in vivo tissue microenvironment and investigate the effects of extracellular matrix (ECM) cues (composition, stiffness and structure) on cellular response (e.g., viability, proliferation, differentiation) towards tissue repair and regeneration. In this realm, some of the currently ongoing tissue engineering related research projects include: 1) 3D printing of biomimetic Bioglass and collagen gradient materials for ACL reconstruction, 2) electrochemical fabrication of elastin containing collagen scaffolds for vascular tissue engineering, 3) developing in vitro models for understanding the role of ECM properties in Alzheimer's disease.
More information on research projects, personnel, and current opportunities can be found on the lab research website.