Travel to/from Canada

Travel to Canada is considered departing the U.S. Most of the travel rules and documentation requirements still apply when entering Canada and returning to the U.S. from Canada.

A valid travel signature is required to re-enter the U.S. from Canada. Please check page 2 of your immigration document I-20 for more recent signature. Most signatures are valid for one year; if the most recent signature will cover the time that you will leave and re-enter the US, you do not need a new signature. If you are in need of a signature, please see the ISSS Office with your name, student ID, and request for travel signature.

Do I need a Canadian Visa? How do I apply for a Canadian Visa?

F-1 and J-1 student visa holders may need a visa, even for a one-day trip to Canada. Although ISS cannot review or advise you on the specifics of the Canadian visa process, we can provide resources and general tips for travel.

Find out if you need a Canadian visa 

If you need a visa to visit Canada, make sure that you have a valid travel endorsement on your I-20 or DS-2019 form before you mail your visa application to the Canadian Consulate. (The Canadian Consulate will only accept visitor visa applications by mail. It is not possible to apply in person.)  

For more detailed information concerning Visitors Visas, refer to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

For additional information on Canadian tourism visit the Canadian Tourism Commission.

Returning to the United States:

Returning to the U.S. from Canada is very similar to returning to the U.S. from any other country. You and your dependents must have the proper documents to re-enter the US.

Edit Page