Animal Care and Use
Animals play a major role in the discovery of cures and therapies affecting people and animals alike. In order to keep animal welfare the primary focus during the research process institutions must have an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). IACUC approval is required before any vertebrate animal activities begin.
The IACUC is a federally mandated committee that is responsible for oversight and evaluation of the entire Florida Tech animal care and use program and its components. Its functions include:
- review and approval of proposed animal use and of proposed significant changes to animal use
- regular inspections of facilities and animal use areas
- regular review of the program
- ongoing assessment of animal care and use
- review of concerns involving the care and use of animals at Florida Tech