Math Advancement Center (MAC)
Welcome to the MAC
The Mathematics Advancement Center (MAC) of the SSSC of Florida Tech oversees functions and activities and supervises tutors and GSAs. Professors teaching freshman and sophomore math classes are extensively engaged in activities.
The SSSC provides personalized help for mathematics at all levels to Florida Tech students. A team of selected tutors offer one-to-one help. Walk-ins are welcome, but students are encouraged to use the online booking platform to make appointments for virtual and in-person sessions as often as needed.
All Florida Tech students may visit to review previous tests, ask general questions about lectures, or solve practice problems. Tutors are trained to help the students transitioning from a high school to a college learning environment. The tutors are either dedicated math tutors (often advanced undergraduates) or GSAs.
In addition to tutoring services, other types of math-related activities are offered, including but not limited to the following:
- Review Sessions: a faculty member or GSA covers a specific topic for students who need review outside of the class period.
- Working Groups: a regular time is set for students in more advanced classes to meet and work as a group under the supervision of an advanced tutor.
- Project Presentations: students in Precalculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, and Calculus 3 work on required project presentations assigned as part of the coursework.
- Integration Bees: students compete to earn extra credit through participation.
- Math Club: motivated students meet weekly with faculty members and explore challenging mathematics that extend beyond their classes.
- SIAM/AMS Reading Group: graduate and undergraduate students meet to exchange research ideas or work on special projects and topics of interest.
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday and Wednesday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.