Math Advancement Center (MAC)
Welcome to the MAC
The Mathematics Advancement Center (MAC) of Florida Tech opened its doors at the beginning of the 2013-2014 academic year. The Department of Mathematical Sciences leads MAC, oversees all MAC functions and activities, and supervises MAC tutors and GSAs. Professors teaching freshman and sophomore math classes are extensively engaged in MAC activities.
MAC provides personalized help for mathematics at all levels, for all Florida Tech students and serves as a center of life and promotion of mathematics in general. MAC has a team of highly selected tutors offering one-on-one free help. Although walk-ins are welcome, students are encouraged to use the online booking platform to make an appointment for a virtual and in-person session as often as they need.
All Florida Tech students can visit MAC to go over a previous test, ask general questions about the lecture, or solve practice problems. Tutors are trained to help the students transitioning from high school culture to college style learning environment. The tutors are either dedicated MAC tutors (often advanced undergraduates) or graduate student assistants (GSAs).
In addition to tutoring services, MAC also hosts other types of math-related activities, including but not limited to
- Review Sessions: a faculty or GSA covers a specific topic for students who need review outside of the class period,
- Working Groups: a regular time is set for students in more advanced classes to meet and work as a group under the supervision of an advanced tutor,
- Project Presentations: students in Precalculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, and Calculus 3 are required to present a project assigned as part of their course work,
- Integration Bees: a competition for Calculus students to earn extra credit by participation,
- Math Club: motivated students meet weekly with a faculty member and explore challenging mathematics that go beyond their classes,
- SIAM/AMS Reading Group: graduate and undergraduate students meet to exchange research ideas or work on special projects/topics of interest.
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.