Writing, an essential part of the learning process, helps Writers' Den not only to communicate ideas and research, but also to generate ideas. Writers' Den provides Florida Tech students of diverse backgrounds a dedicated place to work productively with a supportive tutoring staff to improve their writing skills – thus inspiring their chances for success.
Writing assistance is available for Florida Tech students currently enrolled at the university. Students work with writing instructors to strengthen their composition and organization of writing assignments across the curriculum. Students may make an appointment for a one-on-one consultation and review session or use the drop-off service when an appointment is not feasible.
Writing assistance is available for undergraduate and graduate students.
The Writers' Den serves to:
- Traditional students needing help with writing academic documents.
- ELL students (English Language Learners), who need directed instruction in mastering English grammar.
- Students who desire to work in peer writing workshops to improve their writing skills, including writing groups for undergraduate and graduate students.
- International graduate students who have not taken introductory English writing courses at Florida Tech.
- Undergraduate and graduate student tutors who receive professional development and training.
The Writers' Den is also a space for students to:
- brainstorm topics
- focus ideas
- revise papers
- peer edit
- polish prose
- overcome obstacles
- share success
Wednesday September 18, 2-4pm: Introduction to APA and Quick Tips w/ Alycia Pardoe
Wednesday October 2, 4-6pm: MLA Formatting w/ Michael Tillema
Wednesday October 16, 2-4pm: How to Correct Common Errors in Writing w/ Carol Tillema
Wednesday October 16, 4-6pm: Workshop Topic TBA w/ Michael Tillema
Wednesday November 6, 2-4pm: APA Intensive Hands-On Workshop w/ Alycia Pardoe
Wednesday November 20, 2-4pm: How to Write Descriptive or Narrative Essays, Cause and Effect Essays, Comparison/Contrast Essays and Argumentative or Persuasive Essays w/ Carol Tillema
Writing Workshop Topics May Include
- Essay Writing
- Thesis Construction
- Mechanics of Grammar