Melbourne and the Space Coast
An Unbeatable Florida Location
Sun, sand, surf. Sounds like the makings of an idyllic tropical vacation, but for Florida Tech, it’s home!
Our campus is located in Melbourne, Florida, a small beach town with big opportunities. We’ve got the perks of small-town living—comfort, security, a tight-knit community that cares—and the amenities of nearby big cities, like Orlando—theme parks, entertainment venues, bustling nightlife. We offer the sun, fun, eclectic downtown and activity typical of a tourism hub without the traffic and outlandish prices.
Melbourne is part of the so aptly named Space Coast—the perfect home for a university like Florida Tech, which was founded the same year as NASA to support the missilemen working on the budding U.S. space program. Today, we offer robust space-related undergraduate degree programs, like aerospace engineering, astrobiology and planetary science, supplemented by countless job, internship and cooperative education opportunities at major industry organizations, like NASA – Kennedy Space Center, Northrop Grumman Corp., SpaceX and more!
See For Yourself
Following your campus visit, we recommend having lunch in downtown Melbourne followed by a walk on the beach!
Equal Parts Fun And Future-Focused
Situated minutes from both the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River Lagoon, Melbourne offers both countless recreational activities and ample professional and research opportunities. Students can:
- Kayak the Indian River Lagoon one day; spearhead research to restore it the next.
- Tour Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex with the family as a freshman; work at NASA-KSC by senior year.
- Take a stroll through Brevard Zoo on the weekend; conduct behavioral experiments in its newly developed spider monkey cognitive testing area come Monday.
- Take advantage of our 72° (F) average daily temperature and 300-plus days of sunshine from the beach with your friends and from the cockpit with your flight instructor.
- Watch a rocket launch from campus or, even better, the beach.
An Unbeatable Location
This video segment is part of the Florida Tech episode of "The College Tour," now streaming on Amazon Prime Video. In it, alumna and graduate student Maria Sagastume shares what she loves most about living and learning on Florida's Space Coast. You can view the other nine segments of the show on our "The College Tour" page, or on Amazon Prime Video. Just search for "The College Tour."
Things to Do Near Florida Tech
- Historic Downtown Melbourne
- Brevard Zoo
- Paradise and Melbourne beaches
- Eau Gallie Arts District
- Manatee Cove Park
- Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts
- Indian River Lagoon
- Camp Holly
- Kennedy Space Center
- Cocoa Beach
- Sebastian Inlet State Park
- Turkey Creek Sanctuary
- Cocoa Village
- Disney and Universal theme parks, water parks and resorts
- City Walk and Disney Springs
- Discovery Cove to swim with dolphins
- The Amway Center for concerts and other large events
- The Florida Mall and Orlando International Premium Outlets
- Everglades National Park
- The Florida Keys
- Nearby cities: Orlando, West Palm, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville