Total Estimated ISSS Processing Time:
2.5 to 8 months (subject to change)
Regarding processing times: if the Department of Labor can approve the wages through the OES instead of having to request a prevailing wage, the time frame is the shorter of the two listed above.
Information and Evidence Gathering
Department notifies ISSS of potential H1B hire; ISSS emails both department and beneficiary listing of all documents required.
- Department and beneficiary complete forms, gather and prepare supporting documents, letters, etc. NOTE: department is responsible for securing all required signatures
- Department and beneficiary submits document packets to ISSS
Estimated Time: Please submit within 30 days of request from ISSS.
ISSS Review, NPWHC and U.S. Department of Labor Approval Process
- ISSS reviews request packet; communicates with department and/or beneficiary about any questions
- ISSS obtains Prevailing Wage Determination from the National Prevailing Wage and Helpdesk Center (NPWHC) or Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) Program
- ISSS completes and files Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the U.S. Department of Labor
- Copy of Labor Certification position notification is sent to department and Human Resources. Document must be posted for 10 business days; after which, posting is signed, dated and returned to ISSS Office
- ISSS requests application checks from Accounts Payable
- ISSS prepares Public Access File and Department of Labor file
- ISSS prepares final H-1B petition; submits to USCIS by overnight mailing
Estimated Time: 2.5 to 5 months
Upon receipt at USCIS
- USCIS reviews and adjudicates petition in approximately 4–5 months (regular processing)
- If the Florida Tech department or beneficiary elects to pay an additional fee to USCIS for Premium Processing, USCIS will review and adjudicate the application or send a Request for Further Evidence/Information (RFE) within 15 business days
Estimated Time: 15 business days to 5 months
Consular Processing Required if Beneficiary is Outside U.S.
- Upon approval, ISSS sends required documentation to beneficiary abroad
- Beneficiary schedules visa appointment with U.S. Embassy/Consulate (n/a to Canadian citizens)
- U.S. Embassy/Consulate reviews application, conducts security background check, issues visa stamp
Estimated Time: 2 weeks to 3 months (varies with specific Consular posts and length of time required to clear security; please check with your particular Consulate)
Beneficiary arrives at Florida Tech
- Beneficiary arrives and makes an appointment to check in with ISSS Office
- Beneficiary completes Form I-9 within first 3 days of employment