Information and Evidence Gathering
- Department and scholar complete forms, gather and prepare supporting documents, letters, ISSS and USCIS fees, etc.
- Department submits request packet to ISSS
Estimated Time: Please check with your department’s internal processing time.
ISSS Review, NPWHC and U.S. Department of Labor Approval Process
- ISSS reviews request packet; communicates with department about any questions
- ISSS obtains Prevailing Wage Determination from the National Prevailing Wage and Helpdesk Center (NPWHC)
- ISSS completes and files Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Employment & Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor
- ISSS Prepares Public Access File and Union Notification (if applicable)
- ISSS prepares final H-1B petition; submits to the USCIS
Estimated Time: 4–5 months
Submission of Petition to USCIS
- USCIS reviews and adjudicates petition in approximately 4–5 months (regular processing)
- If the Florida Tech department elects to pay an additional fee of $1,410 to USCIS for Premium Processing, USCIS will review and adjudicate the application or send a Request for Further Evidence/Information (RFE) within 15 days
Estimated Time: 15 days –5 months
Consular Processing Required if Scholar is Outside U.S.
- Upon approval, ISSS sends required documentation to scholar abroad
- Scholar schedules visa appointment with U.S. Embassy/Consulate (n/a to Canadian citizens)
- U.S. Embassy/Consulate reviews application, conducts security background check, issues visa stamp
Estimated Time: 2 weeks–3 months (varies with specific Consular posts and length of time required to clear security. Please check with your particular Consulate)
Scholar Arrives at Florida Tech
- Scholar arrives and immediately checks in with ISSS
- Scholar completes Form I-9 within first 3 days of employment