Driver Responsibilities & Safety Procedures
No person is permitted to drive university-owned, lease, rented or borrowed vehicle unless approved by the Office of Compliance and Risk Management.
- All drivers must possess a U.S. valid driver's license. Employees must obtain a valid Florida license within 60 days of commencing employment at the university.
- All drivers must wear a seat belt at all times and ensure that all passengers do so as well.
- Operate the vehicle in a courteous and safe manner.
- All applicable traffic laws, ordinances and regulations must be obeyed.
- Travel on university related business only. Personal use is prohibited and will result in denial of insurance benefits should an accident occur.
- Drivers receiving traffic citations or violations while operating a university vehicle shall be responsible for paying in full any outstanding fines in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- The use of any tobacco products is prohibited in university-insured vehicles, utility vehicles and golf carts.
- Alcoholic beverages and/or illegal substances are prohibited in university vehicles.
- Drivers may not use cell phones or other electronic communication devices while operating vehicles on university business or for other university purposes.
- Talking or texting on a cell phone or engaging in other distracting activities such as eating or texting while transporting passengers is prohibited.
- Any accidents must be immediately reported to the supervisor and the Office of Compliance and Risk Management.
Individuals who do not comply with the safety policies and procedures of the University will be reported to their immediate supervisor, the Office of Compliance and Risk, and the Office of Human Resources.
Golf Cart & LSV Cart Operating Procedures
Rules Applicable to ALL Drivers:
- All operators of LSV carts must have a U.S. valid driver's license in their possession while operating an LSV cart, as well as a valid identification card and certification of training kept in their personal record.
- Operators of standard golf carts (NOT LSV) are not required to have a U.S. drivers license.
- Employees, students, operators, or anyone else using or attempting to use a cart on campus shall attend a training session. Training sessions will be conducted by the Facilities Office.
- All operators shall operate the cart at speeds in a safe manner as determined by the traffic in which they are operating.
- Carts may not be operated off-campus. This does not prohibit carts from crossing a road or street at an intersection, protected by traffic signals or crosswalks.
- Passengers and Golf Cart operators must keep all parts of their body within the cab of the Golf Cart.
Rules for Regular Golf Carts
- NO DRIVING on city roads.
- Use University roadways and parking lots where possible.
- NOTE: University roadways refer to those internal to the campus as depicted in the green routes in the allowable golf cart access routes map.
- Avoid crossing Babcock Road at all times.
- Avoid crossing University Boulevard when possible.
- If you must cross University Boulevard, please use the designated crosswalk.
Rules for Licensed for Road Use/LSV Golf Carts
- ALL passengers must wear a seatbelt at all times
- You are permitted to drive on city roads with a posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour or below
- City roads includes University Boulevard and Country Club, BUT exclude Babcock Road due to the speed limit
- Avoid crossing Babcock Road when possible.
- If you must cross Babcock Road, use University Boulevard traffic lanes and not designated crosswalks.
Please review the Safety Procedures & Rules for Golf Carts and University-Owned Vehicles , the , and the Allowable LSV Access Routes for additional safety operating procedures.