|Applies to:||Original Policy Date:||Date of Last Review||Approved by:|
|Students, faculty and staff||08/01/2020||June 2023||Ryan Petersen|
Policy Owner: Department of Security
In accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the University must develop and implement certain procedures to be followed when on-campus residential students are determined to be missing for 24 hours.
This policy establishes procedures to be followed when on-campus residential students are determined to be missing for 24 hours.
Any member of the University community who has reason to believe that a student who resides in on-campus student housing has been missing for 24 hours, must comply with this policy.
All missing student reports must be referred immediately to the Department of Security at: (321) 674-8111. The Department of Security will generate a Missing Person report and initiate an investigation.
After investigating the Missing Person report, should the Department of Security determine that the student is missing and has been missing for more than 24 hours (regardless of whether the student has identified a contact person, is above the age of 18, or is an emancipated minor), the Department of Security or a representative from Student Affairs will notify the Melbourne Police Department or law enforcement authority with jurisdiction and the student’s emergency contact no later than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing, unless the local law enforcement agency was the entity that made the determination that the student was missing.
If the missing person is under the age of 18 and is not an emancipated individual, the Department of Security or a representative from Student Affairs must and will notify the student’s custodial parent or legal guardian, the missing person contact, and the Melbourne Police or local law enforcement with jurisdiction, immediately after the Department of Security has determined that the student has been missing for more than 24 hours, in addition to notifying any additional contact person designated by the student.
In addition to registering a general emergency contact, all students residing in student housing facilities have the option to annually register confidential contact information for a person to be notified by the University in the event the student is officially reported as missing, by completing the online Missing Person Contact information in Paws. The University will ensure that all students are able to update their contact information whenever needed. These procedures and registration processes are communicated to students when registering for classes at the beginning of each academic year. The contact information will be confidential, accessible only by authorized campus officials and law enforcement, and may not be disclosed outside a missing person investigation.
If a student has identified such an individual, the Department of Security or Student Affairs officials will notify that individual no later than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing.
If a member of the University community has reason to believe that a student who resides in college-owned, -controlled, or -officially recognized student housing has been missing for 24-hours, they are required to notify:
- The Department of Security: by dialing (321) 674-8111, or on-campus extension 8111; or in person to the Department of Security at the Security Welcome Center located at 3126 Panther Place.
- Department of Security – Investigate any report of a missing person who resides in university housing and ensure that all notifications are made in accordance with this policy.
- The Office of the Dean of Students: by dialing (321) 674-8080, or on-campus extension 8080; or in person at the Homer R. Denius Student Center located on the second floor of the Student Center.
- Office of the Dean of Students – Immediately contact the Department of Security if it receives a report or becomes aware of a missing university housing resident; assist Security and take any other actions deemed appropriate by the Dean of Students.
- The Office of Residence Life: by dialing (321) 674-8080, or on-campus extension 8080; or in person at the Homer R. Denius Student Center located on the second floor of the Student Center.
- Office of Residence Life – Immediately contact the Department of Security if it receives a report or becomes aware of a missing university housing resident; assist Security with investigation and/or notifications as appropriate; ensure the missing student’s RA is contacted, and take other actions as directed by the Office of the Dean of Students.
If the investigation determines that a student has been missing for more than 24 hours, in addition to the above notifications, specific procedures to follow include: contacting the student’s RAs, checking with emergency health care providers, and taking such other investigative actions as are appropriate under the circumstances. The University will implement these procedures in less than 24 hours if circumstances warrant a more rapid implementation.
Missing Student Notification Policy disclosure, 34 CFR 668.46 (b) (14)
Responsibilities are outlined in the Guidelines/Procedures sections for the Department of Security, Office of the Dean of Students, Office of Residence Life, and students.
Faculty and staff who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary action up to termination.