Skip Navigation

Accessibility Resources

Frequently asked Questions (FAQs)


Academic Accommodations

Q: Do I have to use my academic accommodations for every class?

A: Students can choose specific courses in which they want to utilize their accommodations. For example, a student may feel successful without accommodations in their composition course, but may feel the need to utilize their accommodations in their mathematics course. Please remember that some accommodations, such as testing in a low distraction setting, require advanced notice to be given to the instructor(s) and testing center staff. So, it is important to plan ahead when making the decisions.

Q: Where do I take my quizzes, tests, and exams?

A: If extended time and/or low distraction setting for testing has been approved, students can schedule their testing at the Academic Support Center (ASC) by making an appointment at their website:, and click on “Testing Appointment.” It is important to plan ahead as the ASC requires 48-72 hours advanced notice, depending on the testing accommodation request. If the course instructor(s) can replicate such accommodations, then a student may be required to take the quiz/test/exam within the academic department.

Q: If I become eligible to receive accommodations, can I request a grade change for prior coursework completion?

A: Accommodations are unable to be retroactively implemented. A student can expect their accommodations to become effective on the day they are activated and notification is sent by the Office of Accessibility Resources.


Living Accommodations

Q: I plan to live on campus this semester. Can the Office of Accessibility Resources assist me with getting accommodations in my residence hall?

A: The Office of Accessibility Resources (OAR) can assist with a living accommodation request based on a disabling condition. Students would be required to follow the same documentation requirements as with an academic accommodations request. If approved for residence hall accommodations, Office of Accessibility Resources and Campus Services can coordinate living accommodation services to meet the student’s needs.

Q: I have issues with mobility. Can I park my vehicle in the designated handicapped spaces on the campus?

A: Florida state law requires that a vehicle must have a handicap license or tag to park in a designated handicap space. Students with such a license/tag are able to park in the handicap spaces, as long as it is clearly displayed. Students who do not have a handicap license/tag are asked to contact Campus Security, who provides on-campus transportation for students with mobility issues. For further information, Campus Security can be contacted at (321)674-8111. Also, Florida Tech’s trolley system has an accessible bus for transportation around campus. Schedule information can be located at

Q: I have Celiac Disease and have dietary restrictions. How can I have my eating needs met?

A: Students do not need to register through the Office of Accessibility Resources for solely dietary needs. They are encouraged to contact Campus Dining Services to communicate their specific concerns and to work together to coordinate dietary needs. For further information, Campus Dining Services may be reached at (321)674-7458.