Holzer Health Center

Holzer Health Center

Parent's Corner

Welcome to the Holzer Health Center Parent's Corner! Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions, and answers, for parents who have full time registered students attending Florida Tech. Got a question that's not covered, email healthcenter@fit.edu

Holzer Health Center Brochure

Frequently Asked Questions

I didn't buy the Student Health Insurance for my son/daughter. Can they still use the health center?

Yes, the Health Center is available for all registered students regardless of insurance. Student ID and insurance card should be presented for their visit.

My son/daughter has a chronic illness which requires routine checkups or refills, can the Health Center do that?

Although the Health Center operates more as an Urgent Care, we can manage routine care and medication refills for uncomplicated chronic medical conditions, and will refer offsite for specialist care if indicated. Please call your insurance company to ensure they will cover visits with outside providers and specialists. Many insurance companies have "away from home" plans which will cover this if you have an HMO.  You can choose any local provider.  However, we recommend Premier Primary Care/Premier Urgent Care (321-242-SICK or 321-253-2169).  In addition to Primary Care and Family Medicine, Stephen K. Badolato, M.D. is also Board-Certified and Fellowship Trained in Sports Medicine and is available for scheduled student appointments at the Holzer Health Center throughout the month. 

What is the charge for a visit at the Health Center?

There is no charge for the office visit, however, any labs, x-rays or procedures will be billed to their insurance. This includes in house lab tests such as strep throat tests, urinalysis, mononucleosis, etc. 

My son/daughter does not have a car. Are there any Prescription or Over the Counter Medications available at the Health Center?

Yes, many common are available at the health center, all at or significantly below prices in local pharmacy's. A small number of prescription medications are available such as antibiotics, anti-inflamatories, eye drops, etc.

My son/daughter needs to see a specialist and we have purchased the student health insurance. Do they need a referral?

No, students are not required to obtain referrals to specialists, however, it is highly advised that they do as many conditions can be managed by the health center saving them (and you!) hundreds of dollars. In addition, it is important to be very careful tand read the exclusions on your policy prior to visiting another provider. Health care is expensive, if the student should obtain services from an out of network provider or for a non-covered illness, reimbursement for the visit will be denied and the student held responsible for the bill. The specialists are not responsible to have knowledge of the exclusions from all insurance companies.  The student health center will be happy to assist with interpretation of covered services and referrals.  Please visit the Florida Tech Student Health Insurance website 

Who provides health care at the clinic?

The Health Center is staffed with two full-time Nurse Practitioners and four Medical Assistants. A Sports medicine physician and Primary Care Physician are available for appointments twice weekly. A Board certified psychiatrist, chiropractor and dietician are also available on an appointment basis. Your son or daughter will be assisted with a referral and appointment If their condition would require medical care beyond the services offered at the health center.

What exactly is a Nurse Practitioner?

A Nurse Practitioner is a Registered Nurse who has advanced education and clinical training in a healthcare specialty area. The Health Center Nurse Practitioners hold a Masters degree, are licensed by the State of Florida as ARNP's, and are board certified  A Nurse Practitioner provides many of the same services as a physician, including but not limited to: physical examinations, diagnosis, treatment, dispenses medication and prescriptions, laboratory and x-ray prescriptions, and referrals for physical or chiropractic therapy.

Where can my son/daughter acquire prescription medications?

The Health Center has a pharmacy with a number of generic medications that can be prescribed and dispensed by the Nurse Practitioner. For other medications, prescriptions obtained at the health center can be filled at any of the local pharmacies.  CVS on Babcock and  SR192 (321) 409-3941 and Malabar Discount Pharmacy (321)775-0911 offers free delivery of medications if transportation is difficult.

What should my son/daughter do if they become ill after clinic hours?

In an emergency, call 911 and Security at 8111 who will respond to the site and ensure the ambulance gets to you as fast as possible. If you are not using the ambulance, Security can help problem solve with options for transportation to the local hospital. Security is not allowed to transport anyone off campus.  If it is not an emergency, and you or your son/daughter can not wait until the clinic is open, you may can go to any local Urgent Care or to our contracting clinic, Premier Urgent Care, who is the provider of medical care for Florida Tech students.  It is suggested to call first, if they are closed, the student may go to any Urgent Care Center that accepts their insurance.  

What vaccinations are required to attend the university?

All students are required to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).  A record signed by your health care provider listing two “MMR” vaccines or laboratory results of blood titers (MMR IG-G) is acceptable. Any student living in the dorm is required to show proof of one dose of meningococcal meningitis after age 16 and the 3 vaccine Hepatitis B series, or sign a waiver declaring they are aware of the dangers of the infection but decline the vaccine. See the CDC website for more information on meningitis and hepatitis b. Our Holzer Health Center Vaccination Information page offers a synopsis of all the vaccines and TB testing.

Is a TB Test required of all students?

No, only students that are coming from areas in the world that are considered "Tuberculosis Endemic."   Endemic areas of the world are considered any area NOT listed below:
North American Region: U.S.A., Canada, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Virgin Islands
European Region: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
Western Pacific Region: American Samoa, Australia, New Zealand

The T Spot is a highly specific blood test the Student Health Center uses for determing exposure to Tuberculosis. The TB Skin Test is no longer administered at Florida Tech, but will meet the TB requirements if given and documented from another location. If either are positive, the student will be required to have a Chest X Ray.  The T Spot is a blood test that is more sensitive and accurate than the TB Skin Test, is not affected by BCG and gives fewer false positives and thereby reduces the need for exposure to radiation with a Chest X Ray.

Can I receive information about the medical treatment my child received at the Health Center?

Any student over the age of 18 years old is entitled to confidential protection of their health care information. This is a Federal Law that applies to all health care settings called “HIPPA.” The Health Center is not able to give information to anyone that has not specifically been named on their Health Information Protection consent. We cannot even verify if they have been seen at the clinic. The staff at the Health Center understands that this is very frustrating for you, so we encourage you to ask your son or daughter to list your name on the HIPPA consent when they fill out their registration papers at the clinic. We will be happy to assist you in contacting your son or daughter for their signature.

What services are provided at the Health Center?

All medical conditions can be seen at the Health Center and the majority can be diagnosed and treated. Injuries will be evaluated and treatment provided when within the scope of the Health Center. Any condition or injury that requires further treatment will receive initial care and then referred to the appropriate facility or to our in house Family Practice physician Dr. David Badolato. Your son or daughter will be assisted with directions, referrals, and appointments. If an X-ray is required, the Health Center will provide the order and direct them to the diagnostic facility and advise of appropriate follow up care. Sprains, strains, minor fractures and other musculoskeletal conditions will be referred to our in house Sports medicine physician Dr. Stephen Badolato. Allergy shots will be administered when serum is provided, administration fee billed to your insurance. Immunizations, wellness or health screening services can be provided for an additional charge. Students with certain chronic illnesses or conditions that require routine follow up and prescriptions will be requested to establish with a local primary care  or specialist to continue their health care services and prescription refills.  If requested to do so, it will be important to establish with a provider before urgent treatment is needed, as it can take up to 6 weeks for a new patient appointment with some specialists. Assistance with referrals will be given upon request.

My child is under 18. Are there any special considerations?

Yes, if you or a family member will not be living close to your son or daughter while away at school, it is important to consider legally authorizing a local adult to accompany them to any local specialist appointments or diagnostic facilities. A minor may not be seen without a a legal guardian present for any medical care of treatment, with the exception of being seen at the Holzer Health Center. The authorized adult must be over 18, and is not required to make decisions for your son or daughter but must be present for them to receive medical care. This includes evaulation and treatment from dentists, optometrists and alternative medicine practitioners. We encourage you to be proactive and speak to your son or daughter about completing this Minor Care Authorization form before an injury or illness occurs.