SEVIS Fee Requirements
F-1 Students/M1 Vocational Students/J-1 Exchange Visitors
All new F-1, J-1 and M-1 visa applicants must pay a one-time fee to supplement the administration and maintenance costs of the Student and Exchange Information System (SEVIS). The following information specifically addresses fee issues:
Who pays the SEVIS fee?
- Prospective F-1/M-1 students with "initial attendance" I-20
- Prospective J-1 exchange visitors (students and scholars) with "begin new program" DS-2019
- Prospective F-1 students with "initial attendance/change of status" I-20 (changing from another visa category)
- Prospective J-1 exchange visitors (students and scholars) with "begin new program" DS-2019 who are applying for a change of status to J-1 status from another visa category
- F-1 students in the U.S. applying for reinstatement after being out of status more than 5 months, and who are issued an I-20 issued for reinstatement
- Current J-1 exchange visitors (students and scholars) in the U.S. applying for reinstatement with a new DS-2019 issued by Florida Institute of Technology
- Prospective J-1 exchange visitors (students and scholars) who are transferring to Florida Institute of Technology from a "US government SEVIS fee exempt" program sponsor.
Will F-1 students, M-1 Vocational Students, or J-1 exchange visitors currently in the U.S. have to pay the fee?
No, unless the student or scholar's individual circumstances change so that he or she fits one of the categories mentioned above.
What about F-2, M-2 or J-2 dependents?
Neither F-2, M-2 nor J-2 dependents are required to pay the fee.
As a continuing F-1 student, do I have to pay the fee if I transfer to another school, change to a new program at Florida Institute of Technology, travel outside the U.S. or renew my visa?
The SEVIS fee is not required when transferring schools, changing to another degree program or level, requesting a program extension, renewing an F-1 visa or using F-1 program benefits such as practical training. If you are in status when you travel internationally and are not physically outside of the U.S. for more than five months, you will not be required to pay the fee.
As a continuing J-1 exchange visitor, do I have to pay the fee if I transfer to another school, change to a new program at Florida Institute of Technology, travel outside the U.S. or renew my visa?
The SEVIS fee is not required when transferring to a new program sponsor, requesting a program extension, renewing a J-1 visa or using J-1 program benefits such as academic training.
Can I pay the SEVIS fee at a university, consulate or port of entry?
No. At this time the SEVIS fee can only be processed by the Department of Homeland Security via mail or the Internet.
How do I pay the fee?
Visit the SEVIS fee webpage to pay the fee. Be sure that you print the payment receipt and carry it with your immigration documents. This fee must be paid at least three (3) days before your appointment with the embassy.
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) upgraded its Western Union Quick Pay process to make it more convenient for students. F and M student applicants choosing to pay their I-901 SEVIS Fee by Western Union Quick Pay must complete the Form I-901 on the website www.FMJFee.com prior to visiting the Western Union location.
Where do I get more information?
Please see the SEVIS Fee Payment website at www.fmjfee.com