|Applies to:||Original Policy Date:||Date of Last Review:||Approved by:|
|Academic Deans and Vice Presidents and their supervisors||April 1, 2014||February 7, 2023||Dr. Marco Carvalho
Executive Vice President and Provost
Policy Owner: Office of Human Resources
This policy establishes the frequency, criteria, and procedure for the regular evaluation of the performance of vice presidents and academic deans.
This policy applies to the evaluation of all vice presidents and academic deans by their respective supervisors.
All vice presidents and academic deans are reviewed annually in the spring term prior to the issuance of new contracts for the upcoming year. Each vice president or academic dean will be evaluated on the following criteria in addition to the achievement of their pre-established goals from the prior review period.
- Institutional Mission - Contributes towards the institutional mission and goals (including presidential and strategic plan goals). Integrates the standards of conduct that promote the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and professionalism within their respective college or division as well as the university community;
- Leadership & Administration - Provides effective leadership to their respective college or division. Provides direction to ensure successful achievement of goals;
- Executive Communication - Provides accurate and relevant counsel to supervisor and executive colleagues. Clearly conveys directives to their respective college or division;
- Partnership & Collaboration - Demonstrates effective collaboration with administrative peers and supervisors;
- Individual Effectiveness - Creates and administers processes and procedures to achieve personal goals and objectives.
At the time of the review, goals for the upcoming year will be established.
In the spring semester, each vice president and academic dean will meet with their supervisor for their annual performance review. The supervisor may ask the vice president or academic dean to complete a self-evaluation in advance of that review.
Each vice president and academic dean will be reviewed using the established criteria and on the achievement of their pre-established goals from the prior review period. This evaluation will be documented and discussed with the vice president or academic dean.
Goals for the coming year will be established. Individual goals will be discussed for clarification and common understanding. Timelines will be determined for each goal as needed. Due to the nature of executive-level positions, goals may be added or modified throughout the year as necessary.
SACSCOC Standard 5.4
Supervisors of academic deans and vice presidents are responsible for scheduling and completing these evaluations in consultation with the academic dean or vice president. Record of these evaluations are stored electronically in the University’s ERP.