|Applies to:||Original Policy Date:||Date of Last Review:||Approved by:|
|All Full- & Part-Time Faculty & Staff; excludes Adjuncts, Student Workers & Temporary Employees||May 1, 2015||October 2022||Dr. Marco Carvalho
Executive Vice President and Provost
Policy Owner: Office of Human Resources
This policy provides an overview of the process and impact to credit for prior service for the rehire of a former full-time or part-time faculty or staff member.
Former full-time and part-time faculty and staff who are rehired by the university, excluding adjuncts, student workers, and temporary employees.
Former Florida Tech employees who are rehired by the university and who meet eligibility criteria are eligible for reinstatement and will receive credit for prior eligible university service as detailed by this policy. This policy provides no obligation of the university to rehire a former employee.
- Employees are eligible for coverage under this policy if they were employed for a minimum of two years (24 months) without a break in service immediately prior to their separation from employment.
- A former employee is eligible for reinstatement under this policy if they have been separated from the university for less than 12 months. If they have been separated from the University for longer than 12 months, they are not eligible for reinstatement. Any employee that has not worked within a period of one year will be classified as inactive by Florida Tech, unless they are on an approved leave of absence.
- The employee must have separated from the university voluntarily or as the result of the elimination of a position. Under no circumstances will an employee separated for cause be eligible for the provisions of this policy.
- Employment as a Temporary or Student Worker including College Role, Work Study or GSA employee will not count as service to the university for the purposes of this policy.
- A partial month will count as one full month for all provisions of this policy.
- If an employee is on an approved leave, including sabbatical, with or without pay, service is considered continual.
Credit for Prior Service
An employee who is reinstated will receive credit for prior service for purposes of a benefit if reinstated to a position with comparable eligibility for that benefit but will not receive credit for service for the period of the separation. An employee who is reinstated to a position with different eligibility for the benefit than the position they previously held is considered a new hire for purposes of that benefit.
For example, an employee who was eligible for vacation leave prior to separation and is rehired in a position that is also eligible for vacation leave will receive credit for prior service when determining the employee’s leave accrual rate. If an employee was ineligible for vacation leave prior to separation but is rehired in a position that is eligible, the employee will be considered a new hire for purposes of vacation leave.
Previous eligible service will be credited to the reinstated employee for the purposes of calculating accrual rates and maximum balances permitted to carry over during the vacation leave rollover at the end of the fiscal year. The employee’s balance will start at zero, but any waiting period for use of vacation leave will be waived.
- Sick Leave
Previous eligible service will be credited to the reinstated employee. The sick leave available balance at separation will be restored.
- Personal Holiday
If an employee is separated and reinstated within the same calendar year and did not use their Personal Holiday for the calendar year it will be restored. If the employee used their Personal Holiday for the calendar year in which the reinstatement occurs, then they will not receive another Personal Holiday upon reinstatement.
- Anniversary Day
If the employee is separated and reinstated within the same calendar year and did not use their Anniversary Day (if applicable) for the calendar year, the Anniversary Day will be restored. If the employee used their Anniversary Day for the calendar year in which the reinstatement occurs, then they will not receive another Anniversary Day upon reinstatement.
- Group Insurance
Reinstated employees will be eligible for group insurance benefits effective on the first day of the month following the rehire or as provided under the terms and conditions of each specific plan document, whichever is earlier. Any waiting period imposed by the university will be waived subject to eligibility for the coverage.
- Retirement Plan
All provisions of the plan document will apply, subject to eligibility for the coverage.
The Office of Human Resources is responsible for crediting prior service in accordance with this policy.